Wildside: Rant Demon

Rant Demon is the deeply personal story of Keir Cutler, a would-be actor and football player who has lost many opportunities in his life due to his incessant ranting, and the events that lead him to calm down (at least a little bit). Eyes bulging the whole time, Cutler explains that his ranting is “a talking disease.” However, this is one diatribe that serves him well. Hearing the story of his life firsthand is hilarious and unexpectedly touching. Cutler’s openness and honesty about his verbal aggression and intermittent explosive disorder (as his one-time psychologist called his ranting) makes audiences want to cheer his accomplishments.

His latest show premiered at last summer’s Fringe Festival, and it is clear why Rant Demon is being repeated at Wildside. Cutler’s performance style is captivating and energetic enough to hold an audience in thrall during what is essentially an hour-long rant.

Cutler’s autobiographical monologue goes through the defining events in his life leading to his tendency to rant, from his father’s war with restaurants to Cutler’s tryout for the Montreal Alouettes and his failures with women. All in all, Rant Demon is a story of redemption, the tale of how a man who made sense of everything through repetitive diatribes, some lasting as long as a few weeks, finally learned how to stop talking long enough to listen.

Rant Demon will be playing Jan. 12 and 15.