ASFA candidates look like beauty pageant contestants

The year was 1960 and nearly 70 million Americans tuned in to watch the first-ever televised presidential debate between the vivacious John F. Kennedy and a wearied Richard Nixon. Gone were the days when intellect alone could win you a stint in the White House. On air, looks mattered; and some historians believe it ultimately cost Richard Nixon the election.

Countless psychological studies have been devoted to this phenomenon, yet the question remains: can attractiveness decide elections?

From the look of their campaign posters, candidates running for the Arts and Science Federation of Associations executive positions sure hope so.

If you pass by a bulletin board in any Concordia academic building, you will likely find it congested with the over-sized, smiling faces of the ASFA candidates. I’m wondering 8212; are these individuals running for student government positions or the chance to don a sparkly crown and sash?

Every candidate’s picture is several times larger than the text stating his or her campaign platform 8212; none of which appear to be particularly innovative or realistic. A shuttle bus from Vendome to Loyola? I’m pretty sure one already exists 8212; it’s called the 105. Is VP academic and Loyola candidate Christina Gentile unaware that a ticket purchased on the bus is also valid for the metro?

Maybe the candidates figured if they tilt their head back a little or wear a V-neck T-shirt their ideas wouldn’t have to amount to much.

Interestingly, these posters have all been printed in varying shades of blue. Coincidence? Not so much. According to colour psychology, blue stimulates calm and is associated with traits such as dependability, wisdom and loyalty. Hence, why many politicians choose to wear blue suits.

Evidently, good taste in fashion is a prerequisite for holding office at Concordia. All of these candidates are attractive people, but they are relying too heavily on glamour shots to win them the election.

ASFA states candidates may spend a maximum of $50 on their campaign. Although this isn’t a lot of money, it seems like they are clearly blowing their budgets at the copy centre.

What ever happened to grassroots campaigns? I want to see homemade signs and a candidate who will stand in the lobby of the Hall building to personally ask for my vote on Feb. 15, 16 and 17. Until that time comes, I’ll abstain from voting, much like the majority of my fellow Concordia students. This isn’t a beauty pageant, it’s an election.