Home Bundling up for some winter fun

Bundling up for some winter fun

by admin February 1, 2011

Bundling up for some winter fun

by admin February 1, 2011

Last chance:

Fete des Neiges at Parc Jean-Drapeau!

There is only one weekend left so make sure to go celebrate winter’s frosty delights at the biggest outdoor festival in Montreal. Activities include: tube sliding, ice skating, outdoor shows and lots more.

Feb. 5 and 6 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Located at Île Sainte-Hélène at Parc Jean-Drapeau, admission is free.

Coming up:

Montreal High Lights Festival en Lumière 2011

Now that Igloofest is over, Montrealers need to look forward to something else that can keep us warm on weekends. This year the High Lights Festival runs just in time for Concordia’s Reading Week. From Feb. 17 to 27 at Place Jacques-Cartier, visitors can enjoy live music, art and light shows. Best of all, the festival ends with the much-anticipated Nuit Blanche, an all-nighter filled with music, culture, food and after hours metro service.

Visit www.montrealenlumiere.com for more information and this year’s schedule.

All winter:

Skating on the Quays in Old Port Montreal

This outdoor skating rink in the heart of the Old Port is a great spot to show off your skills. It is open everyday of the week with a variety of music genres. Between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. the rink plays host to Classic Mondays, World beat Tuesdays, Alternative Rock Wednesdays, Rock “n’ Roll Thursdays, Retro Fridays (“80s and “90s), Rhythm Saturdays and Francophone Sundays.

Admission is $6 excluding skate rentals. Open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. on Mondays through Wednesdays, and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Thursdays through Sundays.

Mont-Royal

Tubing: forget waterslides, the icy slopes on Mont Royal are the perfect place to slip and slide on magic carpets, toboggans and snow tubes. Inner tube rentals are $8 for adults [12 and older]. Skis and snowshoes: The chalet also rents out cross-country skis and snowshoes that you can take out on the mountain’s numerous trails. Cross-country skis will cost you $10 for one hour or $15 for 3 hours. Snowshoes are a little cheaper at $8 for one hour and $13 for 3 hours. Skates: Mont-Royal completes their winter activities package with an outdoor skating rink. To rent, it is $8 for two hours. Note: All rentals require a photo ID.

Night skiing and snowboarding at Bromont

Though open during the day, the fun really begins once the sun goes down (which, during Montreal winters, is not very late). Bromont has more than 75 trails

Illuminated every night and boasts that it is the largest lit skiable terrain in North America. It is the perfect place to ski under the stars and avoid large weekend crowds. Every second Saturday is Nuit Blanche, where the hill stays open until 2 a.m.

Student lift tickets cost $27 from 8 p.m. to closing.