Home City in brief: Feb. 1, 2011

City in brief: Feb. 1, 2011

by admin February 1, 2011

City in brief: Feb. 1, 2011

by admin February 1, 2011

Down with credit cards

At last Thursday’s CSU IGM, students voted overwhelmingly in support of a motion that would call on credit card vendors to stop distributing their precious plastic on campus. The idea came from student Jamie Kelly, who noted that the CSU should be active on this issue because of its Annex D, which stipulates that the student union opposes any financial schemes that would increase student debt. Although attention was notably directed toward BMO’s credit card kiosk in the LB building, Kelly stated that the motion should apply to all vendors. Student Laura Beach eventually proposed the motion, which also stated that the CSU work closely with Alumni Relations in preventing banks and other institutions from returning to campus with their credit cards.

Concordia tops in engineering competition

Montreal last month, Concordia’s delegation took home two gold medals and one silver out of four different competitions. Each year, students from 10 universities across Canada gather at the NIEC to listen to industry experts discuss various issues related to industrial engineering. This year’s event was themed “Industrial Engineering, an opportunity for Healthcare and Services.” At the end of the event, Concordia was voted to be the host of the 2013 national conference.

Fabrikant back in court

Convicted murderer and former Concordia engineering professor Valery Fabrikant was back in court last week, pursuing a $600,000 lawsuit against his old colleagues. He claims certain university staff members profited from his work and “‘extorted” his documents. This is the first time in almost four years that Fabrikant, who shot four faculty colleagues to death in 1992, has been in a courtroom. His lawsuit was thrown out in 2007 after the judge tired of hearing Fabrikant complain about a variety things unrelated to the case; but the Quebec Court of Appeal later deemed the judge’s decision an error. And now that the trial has resumed, so have the complaints. Fabrikant lamented last Monday about his leg irons, the conditions of his cell, and his cold feet.

Terminator of geography

Over 600 people doled out big bucks last Thursday to hear former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger address Montreal’s Board of Trade during his cross-Canada speaking tour. And while he touched on topics such as pensions, immigration laws, and green policies, he also made a few notables blunders, such as commending the courage of Canada’s troops in Iraq, and including Montreal on a list of world capitals. Tickets for the presentation were in the range of $350, while 100 people paid $1,500 for the privilege of meeting and being photographed with the still chiseled 63-year old former bodybuilder and actor.

Down with credit cards

Fabrikant back in court

Terminator of geography