Music in the News

But what will Meg do now?

Grammy award winning, platinum-selling duo The White Stripes have officially announced that they’ve disbanded. According to a statement posted on the band’s website, the split arrived, not due to artistic differences or health problems, but rather “to preserve what is beautiful and special about the band and have it stay that way.” The statement goes on to say that “The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack any more. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to.” Despite this news, perhaps fans can console themselves in knowing that, although they will no longer be touring or releasing new albums, frontman Jack White’s Third Man Records will still be periodically releasing White Stripes material through its Vault subscription record club. As for The White Stripes, they can’t feel all that bad about the split, considering news of the breakup spiked sales of the band’s merchandise by vertigo-inducing numbers. Sales of their last release alone, Under The Great White Northern Lights, went up by 2,644 per cent on amazon.com the day after the announcement.

Marijuanaman…really?

Eldest Bob Marley child and Grammy-winning musician Ziggy Marley will be throwing his hat into the graphic novel ring now that his comic book series, Marijuanaman, has a release date. The series, written by Man of Action Studios and illustrated by Jim Mahfood, involves “a noble extraterrestrial champion, who has arrived on Earth to deliver an important message and at the same time save his own planet.” Marley explains that “Marijuanaman represents the hope of the future… the hope that we will utilize all of the power that the universe has given us to save our planet.” The comic book will hit store shelves on the contextually significant date of April 20.

Vai’s latest record is of the Guiness variety

Virtuoso guitarist and G3 alumni Steve Vai is hoping to set a new world record for the largest online guitar lesson on March 3. In collaboration with the Berklee College of Music’s website and livestream, the Grammy-winning musician will be hosting the 30-minute lesson live form a New York City studio. The session will focus on how guitarists can discover their unique talents when it comes to the their instruments. Vai will also be answering questions submitted to him online by fans at the end of the lesson. For more information or to submit a question, visit berkleemusic.com/vai-live.

And now, a shameless plug

On March 16, mtvU’s Woodie awards show will take place in Austin, Texas. In case you’ve never heard of it, the show sells itself as “the definitive award show for college students, and the music they care about.” So why should you care? Well this year, Concordia’s very own CJLO has the potential to snag the College Radio Woodie Award. CJLO, recently voted 2010’s “Station of the Year” at the CMJ College Radio Awards, is the only Canadian station eligible for this honour. So, if you want to see your university radio station get some much deserved recognition, vote for it at radiowoodie.ratemyprofessors.com.

I wonder how much their fanbases overlap?

Montreal-born renaissance man William Shatner, Black Label Society and Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Zakk Wylde are currently working in a studio together. The unlikely pair are recording tracks for Shatner’s upcoming album, Seeking Major Tom. “Zakk is one of the great guitarists who played with Ozzy Osbourne. A master playing a cover of “Iron Man.” He’s fantastic! I’m energized,” tweeted the former starship captain last week. The album is slated to be a collection of rock covers. Though the track list has not been revealed, it is reported that both Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man” and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” will be among the songs covered. The release date is scheduled for sometime later this year.

The man’s got a heart of gold

Canadian rock icon Neil Young is set to be honoured with the Allan Waters Humanitarian Award at the 40th annual Juno Awards in Toronto. The award goes to “a Canadian artist whose humanitarian contributions have positively enhanced the social fabric of Canada.” “As a driving force behind one of music’s most successful fundraising events, Farm Aid, and a key participant in Live 8 right here at home, his tenacity and spirit is highly regarded among his peers, and serves as an inspiration to all of us,” said Juno CEO Melanie Berry in a news release. Young has been integral in such philanthropic endeavors as The Bridge School, Farm Aid and the 1985 charity single “Tears are not Enough.” Past recipients of the award include Bryan Adams, Sarah McLachlan and Bruce Cockburn.

They could use somebody… maybe a PR rep?

Kings of Leon and Glee creator Ryan Murphy were duking it out through the media all last week after Murphy, in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, harshly criticized the band for not allowing the use of their song “Use Somebody” on the show last year. Hours after the story hit the web, Leon drummer Nathan Followill tweeted: “Dear Ryan Murphy, let it go. See a therapist, get a manicure, buy a new bra. Zip your lip and focus on educating 7yr olds how to say fuck.” In a statement to THR, frontman Caleb Followill tried to clear the air: “This was never meant as a slap in the face to Glee or to music education or to fans of the show. We’re not sure where the anger is coming from. We just said no to a license for a TV show, which we do a lot.”

Alice Cooper urges Plant to get the Led out

Legendary shock rocker Alice cooper is urging former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant to return to his rock ‘n’ roll roots with his Zeppelin bandmates. Plant explained his refusal to do so by saying he is too old to play rock songs and would rather focus on other projects such as his Band of Joy folk band. Cooper couldn’t help but voice his bemusement at the whole affair: “Jimmy Page wants to do it. John Paul Jones wants to do it. And they got Bonham’s son, who is a killer drummer. All they need is Robert Plant. But what is Robert Plant out there doing? Playing folk music! What is he doing?”

The man’s got a heart of gold