Re: Calling for a day of action

We are calling on all students and organizations to take action against the ongoing tuition hikes and our faltering university administration. Concordia’s senior management and Board of Governors have violated the public trust. The very people trusted with the stewardship of our institution have steadily guided students toward an increasing debt load, a destabilized and leaderless campus environment and a lack of communal faith in the value of our academic work.

First, we learned that tuition will increase exponentially over the next four years, with

international students facing severe hikes. Then, graduate tuition fee payments were restructured without consulting students about the potential impacts. Finally, the secretive executive committee of the Board of Governors thrust the campus into upheaval by forcing the resignation of president Judith Woodsworth.

How is it that students face massive tuition hikes while outgoing university administrators receive millions in golden parachutes?

In light of this hypocrisy, a 100-signature petition was submitted to the Concordia Student Union requesting that they hold a special general meeting on Feb. 14. The Graduate Student Association already unanimously adopted a motion to hold a general meeting on the same day.

The Feb. 14 demonstration already has the support of some of the largest student organizations, including the Arts and Science Federation of Associations and the Teacher and Research Assistants of Concordia. Students also overwhelmingly voted in favour of the event during an open CSU meeting last Thursday.

During the general meeting, students will vote on the following motion: “Be it resolved that the Concordia Student Union calls for a Day of Action to denounce the Ministry of Education’s proposed tuition fee hikes, in solidarity with Quebec students and all those with a stake in accessible education. This Day of Action will be in effect immediately upon adjournment of the Special General Meeting, lasting for the entire day.”

Holding a day of action would send a strong message to our leaders in Quebec City that enough is enough. We also want to send a clear message to our university government that students must have a voice in how our university is run.

Relentless pressure from the university and Quebec City may leave some students feeling powerless, but the opposite is true. A group of just 100 graduate students recently protested in Norman Bethune Square alongside Free Education Montreal, and were able to extract considerable concessions from the university, including a freeze on any late tuition payment charges. We can do more.

The CSU council will have to deliberate quickly and intelligently over the next few days, as the ball is already rolling. The CSU’s new mobilization committee seems ready to make this assembly one of their own projects, which is an exciting step. We genuinely hope that the CSU council and executive devote the same level of energy and support at this pivotal moment. There is little time to waste.

But that is just a tip of the iceberg. Above all else, massive student participation is essential.

We are calling on all students and organizations to concentrate substantial energies and resources to making this assembly a success. Substantial work and mobilizing needs to be done, and the next few days leading up to Feb. 14 are critical. While time is limited, students work best under pressure.

In this spirit, we hope to see all of you at our first mobilization and planning event on Feb. 4. The event will take place at 4 p.m. on the seventh floor in the Hall Building. We look forward to hearing your thoughts and working with you during these exciting times. See you then.

For more information visit: www.concordiastudents.ca. Warm your heart, freeze tuition!

– Concordia Students for a Special General Meeting