Music in the News

The score on Wyclef’s wound

Fugee rapper/producer Wyclef Jean was shot at and suffered minor injuries last Saturday while on a trip to his home country of Haiti. Jean, who is in the country to support presidential candidate Michel Martelly in the upcoming Haitian elections, stepped out of his car to make a phone call when he was fired upon by an unknown assailant. Jean’s spokesman, in a statement to UsMagazine.com, said that he had ”confirmed from Wyclef that he was immediately taken to the hospital, treated for a minor graze to his hand and released. He is fine.”  His rep also added “Wyclef’s commitment to his native country and to his people is unparalleled, he is therefore undeterred by this incident.”

More sad news from Japan

As if the tsunami and nuclear fears weren’t enough of a shock for the land of the rising sun, last week Japan lost Tsutomu Katoh, founder and chairman of the Korg Corporation, after a long battle with cancer. In a statement, Korg president Seiki Kato said: “Since he founded Korg Inc. in 1963, Mr. Katoh has led our company with great talent, vision and leadership. He was loved and respected by all the employees, all Korg family members and made a huge contribution to the lives of countless musicians around the world.” If you don’t recognize the name “Korg,” you’d probably recognize the sounds it helped create through its innovative line of keyboards and electronic musical devices. Some artists who have used Korg instruments include Herbie Hancock, Keith Emerson and Moby.

The kids in the hall

Last week marked the induction of a handful of new artists into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, including such big names as shock rocker Alice Cooper, singer-songwriter Neil Diamond and cult icon Tom Waits. Other honoured performers included New Orleans blues/jazz pianist Dr. John, ‘60s R&B singer Darlene Love and renowned songwriter and session musician Leon Russell, who took home this year’s award for musical excellence.

Social Distortion drummer may be Prison Bound

Casey Royer, former drummer for California punk rock pioneers Social Distortion, has been arrested and is facing misdemeanour charges after allegedly overdosing on heroin in front of his 12-year-old son in his Newport home. The boy ran to a neighbour’s house to get help after his father became unresponsive. While authorities were reviving Royer, they came across what the Orange County district attorney’s office referred to as “filthy” living conditions. The 52-year-old musician has been charged with two counts of child abuse and endangerment as well as being under the influence and use of a controlled substance.

Lil Bizkit

Nineties Nu-Metal band Limp Bizkit has enlisted the aid of “Lollipop” rapper Lil Wayne on a track for their latest album, Gold Cobra. Band frontman Fred Durst confirmed this in a recent tweet: “16th song mixed is ‘Ready To Go’ featuring Lil Wayne! I love it.” Lil Wayne joins other famous artists set to feature on the new album including Wu-Tang Clan’s Raekwon and Kiss bassist Gene Simmons, who provides a voiceover for the album’s intro. Gold Cobra will be the first album for Limp Bizkit since rejoining with original guitarist Wes Borland. Durst hopes to have the album out by June 7.

Nate Dogg goes to heaven

Nate Dogg, an original member of rap trio 213 and a famed performer in his own right,  passed away last week due to congenital heart failure and complications related to previous strokes that he had suffered in 2007 and 2008. Nate Dogg’s manager Rod McGrew wrote in a statement addressed to the rapper’s fans: “We appreciate the enormous outpouring of response from all over the world. We greatly appreciate that and thank everyone for their prayers and support. We know that Nate will be hanging out with his good friends 2Pac and Biggie.”