Men’s soccer team frustrated again with a late collapse

Concordia’s men’s soccer team lost and tied against cross city opponents Université du Québec à Montréal and McGill in matches where late lack of focus cost the team.
As it went, Concordia let both teams score twice in the second half to drop the Stingers to a loss and a tie on the weekend, and leaving them 1-2-1 in the season.
“We didn’t play the full 90,” said captain Gonzalo Paredes. “You got to fight to the end, you got to play with heart. You can’t lose focus.”
On Friday night at McGill, Concordia played well, going into the first half tied at one and were playing the focused, controlled game that they have played in all of their matches so far this year.
In the second half, however, a similar story appeared. McGill came back to score twice, and Concordia was left staring at a 3-1 scoreline.
Sunday’s game against a weaker UQAM team was one that Concordia controlled much better.
After goals from Karim Haroun in the 48th minute and Alfred Moody in the 57th, the Stingers looked set to move their record to .500.
A costly foul in the box gifted the Citadins a penalty kick in the 65th minute. UQAM’s Sallim Dahman converted the penalty and brought the Citadins to within one.
The tying goal came off a long-range free kick in the 86th by Montassar Chebbi that keeper Nicholas Giannone bobbled, and failed to keep out, bringing the final score to 2-2.
It was a goal that should not have went in, but the lack of focus that Paredes and the team feared betrayed them, and they wound up with a tie instead of a win.
“We had them at the end,” said Paredes. “Just a miscommunication at the end got the second goal for them.”
It was a crushing goal to concede so late in a match that players and coaches knew should have been a win.
Concordia suffered a further setback Sunday, as defender Thomas Muir was injured and left on crutches. It remains to be seen how long he will be out for.

Concordia’s next match will be against Université de Montréal on Sept. 25 at 8:30 p.m.