Stingers blow out X-Men at Homecoming

The first half of Concordia’s Homecoming game against St. Francis Xavier might as well have been called The Kris Robertson Show.
The Stingers’ defensive back returned the opening kickoff 72 yards, setting up a 32-yard field goal by Keegan Treloar. Robertson followed the return with a 38-yard interception return for a touchdown, setting the tone for the rest of the game.
Robertson definitely had some help from his teammates, though, in the Stingers’ 55-9 shellacking of the X-Men.
Running back Raul Thompson broke the game open with two rushing touchdowns in the second quarter. Thompson completed the touchdown hat trick on a 40-yard run in the third quarter and finished the game with 76 yards on nine carries to go with his three touchdowns.
“We came together as a unit today,” said Thompson “We fixed the small mistakes we made in the past and we executed all the plays today. The o-line played a fabulous game and I’m proud of how they played.”
The young tailback from Mississauga, Ont. was awarded the Homecoming Cup as the game’s most valuable player.
The Stingers’ running game had been struggling mightily coming into this match, but they exploded for 222 total yards on the ground against the X-Men.
Their passing game, meanwhile, which has also struggled at times this season, was hot and cold on Saturday. Terrance Morsink, who started the game at quarterback for the Stingers, was only two of nine for 53 yards. But fortunately for Concordia, backup Reid Quest had a hot hand in the afternoon.
Stingers’ coach Gerry McGrath made the decision to alternate the two quarterbacks and it paid off as Quest finished the game 11 of 18 for a respectable 172 yards and two touchdown passes.
The decision to platoon the QBs may raise some questions as to who will be starting next week’s game against Sherbrooke.
The Concordia defence continued where it left off last week against Bishop’s, holding St. FX to 240 total yards and only 132 passing yards. The Stingers secondary continued to hunt down footballs like hawks, finishing with three interceptions on the day.
“We watched film and had a hard week of practice,” said Robertson. “We worked real hard and we’re in good shape now.”
Defensive back Marc-Antoine Bedard and linebacker Christian Walcott had the other interceptions for the Stingers.
The game also featured a number of exciting special teams’ plays for both sides. The X-Men’s only touchdown came in the first quarter when wide receiver Damone Williams returned a kickoff 99 yards for a major.
Stingers’ defensive back Nathan Taylor answered Williams’ score with a 120-yard missed field goal return for a touchdown early in the second quarter.

The Stingers (2-1) will look to extend their winning streak to three games, as they take on the Université de Sherbooke Vert et Or on Sept. 23 at 7 p.m on the Loyola campus. Sherbooke is currently ranked fifth in the CIS.