City in brief, Oct. 25

ASFA SGM date set
The Arts and Science Federation of Associations will be holding its special general assembly on Nov. 3 in H-110 in order for its membership to vote on a strike. The meeting will happen just days before the Nov. 10 demonstration against tuition hikes takes place in Montreal. ASFA president Alex Gordon said on Monday that for the vote on the strike to be valid, the federation will need to reach quorum, which is 2.5 per cent of its membership, meaning roughly 450 students. ASFA will also be holding an information session on the 7th floor of the Hall building on Oct. 27 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. to bring its membership up to speed on the anti-tuition hikes campaign. 

ConU looks for a new VP
President Frederick Lowy has asked the ConU community for feedback in selecting a new vice-president of research and graduate studies. Students and staff can make recommendations and describe their ideal candidate in an online survey hosted by Laverne Smith & Associates Inc. The same Canadian firm was used to collect information regarding the search for a ConU president, a position that Lowy is filling on an interim basis. Louise Dandurand is Concordia’s current VP of research and graduate studies. She will retire in December 2011. The deadline for submitting feedback is Oct. 28.

You don’t have to go home but you can’t strike here
More limitations have been placed on where McGill University’s striking support staff are allowed to demonstrate. CTV reported that the university returned to court last week to file another injunction after support staff set up their picket lines outside the Glen Yards construction site, the future location of the MUHC super hospital. They are now prohibited from protesting at the homes or workplaces of school administrators, as well as banned from McGill’s downtown and MacDonald campuses. The 1,700 MUNACA members have been on strike for well over a month, demanding better pay and benefits.

Signing in solidarity
A petition calling for McGill University to allow its professors to teach classes off campus to avoid crossing picket lines has collected 284 signatures. Entitled “We are McGill,” the petition asks that faculty members and students be allowed to respect their striking co-workers. This is a response to an earlier incident in which a McGill professor was threatened with suspension and was reproached in a communiqué sent out by McGill provost Anthony Masi and vice-principal Michael Di Grappa after the university discovered that she had begun holding her literature classes at home and in nearby cafes.