QPIRG ended last fiscal year with a net loss

For the second fiscal year in a row, Quebec Public Interest Research Group Concordia is projecting a net loss, according to statements presented at their annual general meeting on Oct. 13.

In their unaudited draft financial documents for the last fiscal year, which spans from Oct. 2010 to Aug. 2011, QPIRG Concordia predict they will be in the red to the tune of almost $11,000. Last year’s 2009-2010 annual report listed a net loss of $8,784.

“A number of the expenses for our core projects, including for our two main publications (School Schmool and Convergence), was spent in the summer while much of our fundraising revenue for these projects is only received in the fall,” said Ashley Fortier, QPIRG’s administrative co-ordinator. Fortier explained the loss “will be accounted for in the coming year’s budget.”

QPIRG Concordia also elected their new board of directors at last week’s meeting, attended by around 70 people, including roughly 30 Concordia students. Members voted in six students and six external community members to serve on the board for 2011-12.

This year’s board is made up of eight new and four re-elected directors. QPIRG staff member Jaggi Singh praised the mix of old and new faces because it “ensures continuity in the organization” and also allows for new ideas and perspectives.

Singh described this year’s election as “competitive” with seven students vying for the six available positions on the board, a trend that he’s noted over the last three years.

The next month will be spent training QPIRG’s new board, teaching them how to run a non-profit organization and learn about QPIRG Concordia’s long history as a centre for research and grassroots activism dating back to the 1980s.

“Working at QPIRG is challenging, and a lot of hard work, but it’s also many times a pleasure,” wrote QPIRG Concordia staff members Noah Eidelman, Ashley Fortier and Jaggi Singh in the organization’s report. “We look forward to building on a successful 2010-11 in the coming 2011-12 year.”

QPIRG members also voted to pass five amendments to their constitution, including one which will allow the fee levy group more control over referendum procedures. The changes are available to read online at qpirgconcordia.org.

QPIRG’S 2010-2011 annual report is expected to be posted online in its entirety sometime this week.