Music in the news

Living on the edge, what did you expect? 

American Idol judge and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler is sporting a whole new look after a nasty fall in his South American hotel room left him worse for wear. Sixty-three-year-old Tyler slipped in his shower last week, resulting in chipped front teeth, a black eye and a bruised face. Tyler was immediately rushed to the hospital and is in good health. The fall sparked rumours that the singer, famous for his battle with addiction, had suffered the fall due to intoxication, something he refuted in an interview with the Daily Mail. “Just quite frankly I passed out. I fell on my face, I woke up with the water running on me, not knowing where the hell I was.”

It seems musicians’ teeth are all the rage this week

Would you like to own a piece of John Lennon? Not a metaphorical piece, mind you, but an actual piece of the legend’s body? Well then, you are creepy and you are in luck because a tooth that the Beatle had removed in the ‘60s will be up for auction next month, with the reserve price set at $16,000. The tooth came from Lennon’s Surrey housekeeper, Dorothy Jarlett. Her son, Barry Jarlett, explains, “She [Dorothy] was very close with John, and one day whilst chatting in the kitchen, John gave my mother the tooth (he had been to the dentist to have it removed that day) and suggested giving it to my sister as a souvenir, as she was a huge Beatles fan.”

If anyone knows lame music, it’s this guy

Former Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher has released a video on his YouTube channel blasting the state of modern music, claiming, “Any fucker can [make dance music] now.” In the video, the Brit rocker reminisces about the early days of dance music, when he would go out to the Haçienda nightclub in Manchester and enjoy the “primitive” beats. Now, he says, with the advances in technology, the genre has become a “walk in the park” in terms of the difficulty in producing it.

Wait, you want people to know you wrote that?

Eighties glam rock band Poison has been hit with a lawsuit claiming that they stole four songs from another Chicago band. The songs in question are “Talk Dirty To Me,” “I Won’t Forget You,” “Fallen Angel” and “Ride the Wind,” all of which are over 20 years old. The plaintiffs, Billy McCarthy and James Stonich, were members of a band called Kid Rocker in the 1980s. They claim that way back in 1984, Poison guitarist C.C. DeVille had auditioned for them, at which point they lent him master tapes of the songs in question. Kid Rocker broke up the following year, around the same time DeVille joined Poison. The plaintiffs are demanding “disgorgement of all profits from the songs in question, statutory damages for willful infringement, and an injunction that prevents Poison and [its frontman, Brett] Michaels from performing this allegedly stolen material.”