Centraide Concordia campaign raises $186,000

As Concordia’s annual Centraide campaign comes to a close, it looks like it will fall just short of the $200,000 goal the university had set.
After a month of events and fundraising, the campaign has raised approximately $186,000, according to the university’s director of administration and public affairs.
“This campaign emphasizes the importance of uniting to fight poverty,” said Enza De Cubellis. “Also, it’s one of the few organizations that puts a substantial 87 per cent of every dollar to fundraising issues at stake.”
Concordia officially ended its campaign on Dec. 2 with a luncheon inviting all who wish to donate. The donations made at that event have yet to be counted.
“Reaching the goal is great, but every single dollar raised is done with pride and accomplishment. At the end, we do the best we can and we’re very proud,” added De Cubellis.
Last year’s campaign raised $192,097 over the month of October, surpassing the original goal of $185,000 and placing Concordia’s campaign in the top 50 fundraisers of Centraide Montreal.
“We set the bar very high this year considering last year’s success,” De Cubellis said.
The city-wide Centraide campaign, which aims to collect $59 million by Dec. 15, had amassed just over $50 million by press time.
According to De Cubellis, one of the most difficult parts of the annual campaign is getting student groups involved.
“It’s obviously one of our goals for next year,” De Cubellis said. “We understand that students are busy with extreme schedules, but we’re starting to look for ways to get the students more involved.”
Meanwhile, according to its website, McGill University raised $206,230 after setting an ambitious goal of $450,000, while the Université du Québec à Montréal has raised $160,000. They had aimed for $188,000.
Concordia is part of 360 agencies that take part in the annual fundraising effort in the greater Montreal area. Concordia has been involved with Centraide for nearly four decades.