Mixtape: Gettin’ Jolly With It

Ah, the holidays. So it turns out there are – and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise – two kinds of people in the world: those who enjoy Christmas music and those who don’t. The latter will find themselves with hefty dentist bills for grinding their teeth whenever they enter any commercial establishment in the month of December, while the former don’t need to down a bottle of wine to belt out about what Santa does when you’re sleeping.

Side A is meant to make Christmas bearable for those who’d run over Rudolph (and not call the SPCA) any day of the week, but who just can’t resist the call of Freddie or Zooey. Side B is for, frankly, everyone, including the grumpiest little Grinches.

Listen to the mixtape here: http://8tracks.com/the_concordian/gettin_jolly_with_it

SIDE A: I’m a Grinch, get me outta here

1. “Merry Christmas Darling” – The Carpenters – Christmas Portrait (1978)
2. “Sleigh Ride” – She & Him – A Very She & Him Christmas (2011)
3. “Up On The Housetop” – The Jackson 5 – Jackson 5 Christmas Album (1970)
4. “(It’s Gonna Be A) Punk Rock Christmas” – The Ravers – Punk Rock Xmas (1995)
5. “Blue Christmas” – Elvis Presley – Blue Christmas (1992)
6. “Thank God It’s Christmas” – Queen – Single (1984)
7. “December” – Regina Spektor – Gift Wrapped II: Snowed In (2010)
8. “O come, O come, Emmanuel” – Belle & Sebastian – It’s a Cool Cool Christmas (2000)
9. “Pretty Paper” – Willie Nelson – Pretty Paper (1979)
10. “Frosty the Snowman” – Fiona Apple – The Hotel Café presents…Winter Songs (2008)

SIDE B: Oldies (and nothin’ but goodies)

11.  ”Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer” – Gene Autry – Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer And Other Christmas Classics (2003)
12. “It Came Upon A Midnight Clear” – Ella Fitzgerald – Ella Fitzgerald’s Christmas (1967)
13. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” – Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer – Capitol Collectors Series (1989)
14. “Winter Wonderland” – Johnny Mathis – Merry Christmas (1958)
15. “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” – Judy Garland – The Judy Garland Christmas Album (1995)
16. “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” – Jimmy Boyd – First Christmas Record For Children (1999)
17. “Silent Night” – Bing Crosby – Merry Christmas (1947)
18. “All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth” – Spike Jones & His City Slickers – Single (1948)
19. “Jingle Bell Rock” – Bobby Helms – Single (1957)
20. “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” – Brenda Lee – Single (1958)