Home Music Music In The News

Music In The News

by The Concordian December 6, 2011
Music In The News
Mastafeist? Feistodon?

In a cross over the masses were definitely waiting for, Mastodon and Feist will be collaborating on a special 7” single for Record Store Day 2012. In a recent interview with Hit Fix, the Canadian songstress recounted meeting with Mastodon’s Bret Hinds backstage on the ‘Later…with Jools Holland’ show and suggested, “How about ‘Metals’ meeting metal?” Mastodon’s Troy Sanders further detailed the venture explaining, “The idea is for Mastodon to cover a Feist song and throw some hair and dirt on it,” and for Feist to  “take a Mastodon song and pretty it up a little bit.” Sanders added that they only had a short window of time to work on the project “but we’re going to do everything we can to work with Feist and have a split 7-inch to support independent record stores.”

Brüno Mercury

Sacha Baron Cohen, best known for portraying satirical characters such as Ali G and Borat, has been confirmed to play frontman Freddie Mercury in the upcoming Queen biopic. As for other particulars regarding the film, producer Graham King told Digital Spy, “I can tell you the working title is Mercury. Whether that ends up being the title of the movie we’re not sure yet.” King also commented on the task of respecting Mercury’s legacy saying, “He led such a big life and there’s just so much to tell. Then you’ve got all this fantastic music. You’ve got to fit that in. It’s not an easy one to put together but I’m pretty confident we’ll be shooting that next year.”

Us 2

Frontman for Ireland’s preeminent rock group U2 has admitted that he finds the sound of his own voice “annoying” in an interview on the Ellen DeGeneres show last Thursday. Bono explained that he rarely listens to his bands old songs. “If I hear our songs on the radio I tend to turn them down. Not because I don’t like them or believe in them. Actually, my voice annoys me. I always think I could have sang it better,” he said, going on to explain how that he finds U2’s earlier work particularly off-putting. “I am sort of a macho, Irish guy and particularly in those ’80s songs, I think I sound like a girl.”

Gnarled back-tree

In an interview with Q magazine, rapper admitted to walking out of a tattoo parlor in the middle of getting a giant tree inked on his back because he couldn’t handle the pain. “When you get your arms done… if you can see what’s going on, then maybe, psychologically, you think you can control it,” Green said. “Apparently you can because it doesn’t hurt so bad. With your back, you’re lying on your front getting the tattoo and you just feel totally out of control – you can’t get a gauge on whether they’re close to completion so I gave up on it.” Though the tattoo, which was meant to be a family tree, is only half completed, Green says “I haven’t been in a rush to finish it.”