Music in the News

All we can do is cry

Etta James, one of the pioneers of early R&B, gospel and soul music, passed away in a Riverside, Calif. hospital last week after a year-long struggle with leukaemia. “This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world,” said long-time friend and manager Lupe De Leon. “She was a true original who could sing it all—her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always.” James, who would have been 74 this Wednesday, had a history of health problems, suffering from dementia and hepatitis C, as well as weight issues in the latter part of her career. Despite this, the Grammy Award winning-singer managed to stay actively involved in music, releasing her final album, The Dreamer, last November.

Jay-Z still plans on bitching

Contrary to a flurry of reports coming out on the subject, Jay-Z did not in any way, shape or form promise to stop using the word “bitch” in his lyrics after the birth of his daughter earlier this month. The story originated on W.E.N.N, who claimed that they’d obtained a poem attributed to the rapper, that read in part: “Before I got in the game, made a change and got rich/I didn’t think hard about using the word bitch/I rapped, I flipped it, I sold it, I lived it/Now with my daughter in this world I curse those that give it.” TMZ’s Harvey Levin managed to set the record straight, however, tweeting, “We just spoke with Jay Z’s rep…the story that he wont use the word bitches anymore since having the baby is B.S. He never said that.”

Perry gives fans chance to lock her in house, burn it all down

If you’re a fan of Katy Perry and a fan of the Sims, you’ll be delighted to hear that the “California Gurls” singer is teaming up with Electronic Arts to create a Perry-themed collector’s edition of The Sims 3 Showtime. “I love how you’re able to play out different stories through your Sims characters, giving them different careers and watching them succeed,” said Perry. “It’s cool to see the Sims’ stage performances in The Sims 3 Showtime decked out just like my California Dreams Tour, even my cotton candy video screens are in there! I always like to think of myself as a cartoon and now I’m a Sim!” EA’s Steve Schnur said that the singer had been a long-time fan of the games and that her Sims language version of “Hot N Cold,” featured in the Sims 2, was one of the most popular “Simlish” music videos to date. “We couldn’t be more excited to work with Katy and bring her distinctive talents, style and personality to the franchise’s global fan base,” said Schnur. “No performer could better represent the humor and fun of The Sims brand.”

Through my iPad gently sweeps a new app

Fans of “the quiet Beatle” will be excited to hear of a new app that will put George Harrison’s guitar collection at the tip of their fingers. “The Guitar Collection: George Harrison” iPad app will showcase the Beatle’s immense collection through detailed descriptions, photographs and audio and video recordings, allowing fans to examine every string and strap of Harrison’s assortment of guitars. Along with Harrison himself, other presenters found in the video section include Ben Harper, Josh Homme, Mike Campbell and Dhani Harrison. The app goes on sale Feb. 23 and will cost roughly $11 Cdn.