Women’s bid for perfection ends

Concordia 55 Laval 51
McGill 57 Concordia 52

The dream of a perfect season came to its disappointing end for the Stingers women’s basketball team over the weekend.
Coming off a hard fought, four point road win on Friday night against Laval, the Stingers just didn’t have enough left in the tank to get past a streaking McGill Martlets team the very next day in their own gym.
On Friday, Concordia was in a dog fight with Laval. The Stingers took a seven point lead into halftime but imploded in the third quarter. Laval started the quarter on a 12-4 run and outscored Concordia 24-13 in the quarter, turning the Stingers halftime lead into a four point deficit.
With a perfect season still in tact, Concordia clamped down on defence and held Laval to just five points in the fourth quarter en route to the victory. Kaylah Barrett led the Stingers with 21 points.
On Saturday the story was similar. Concordia found itself trailing by five going into the fourth quarter, except this time the clock struck midnight on the perfect season as the Stingers just couldn’t muster enough energy for the comeback.
Barrett scored a season low 11 points and shot just two-for-11 from the field, though she did manage to get to the free throw line nine times, making six shots.
McGill was led by its bench, primarily Helene Bibeau who led the Martlets in scoring with 16 points.
McGill is now surging, having won three games in a row and at 5-3, and is now only two points behind Concordia for first place in the RSEQ, though Concordia does still have a game in hand.