Stingers drop eleventh in a row

Crossing a black cat? Walking under a ladder? Breaking a mirror? Who knows what the Stingers women’s hockey team did, but the bad luck continued for the team, which lost its eleventh straight game last Sunday.

With the 3-0 shutout to Carleton, Concordia remains last in the RSEQ and the team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

“That was just a disappointing effort,” said Coach Les Lawton. “I thought we went through the motions a little bit, it was very disappointing considering the goaltending that we usually get. The goals they scored, I thought, were goals that could have been stopped and we didn’t capitalize on our chances. I’m not pleased with the way we played.”

The first period started with a lot of back-and-forth play with each team trading chances.

Concordia found some energy at the ten-minute mark, applying pressure on Ravens goaltender Tamber Tisdale. The Stingers created second and third chances around the net, but were unable to get a shot past her. Despite good chances from both teams, both goaltenders stopped the shots directed at them, keeping it 0-0.

Carleton opened the scoring early in the second, only four minutes in as Ravens forward Kristen MacDonald made it 1-0.

Concordia forward Emilie Bocchia had a good chance to even up the score as she was alone to face Tisdale, but Carleton’s goaltender made the save. Inspired by the save their netminder made, the Ravens scored another goal a minute later, as defence Kelsey Vander Veen made it 2-0.

Carleton’s forward Sadie Wegner was the one who made it 3-0 with five minutes to go in the second period after Concordia missed a great chance to pull within a goal.

“It was a two-nothing game and we had a beautiful three-on-one play that we moved the puck properly and we hit the goal post and a few moments later they put it in the back of our net, that was the turning point,” said Lawton.

The Ravens were on a mission in the third as they blocked shots and cleared the rebounds from the crease, protecting their goaltender’s shutout.

Carleton’s defenceman Kelsey Vander Veen was called to the box for hooking, giving a chance for Concordia to come back in the game. Even though the team had some good chances, they couldn’t capitalize on them as Tisdale made sure the back of her net remained untouched.

“I was really happy with the way our team competed today,” said Ravens head coach Shelley Coolidge. “We did a really good job on our forecheck, creating chances early on in the first and that seemed to get the ball rolling for us. Our goaltender played well, our defence did a good job eliminating second chances, I really was happy [with] the way we played in all zones.”

Concordia’s team can’t say the same about its play and will soon be watching the playoffs rather than participating in them.

Concordia’s final home game is at 7:30 p.m. this Friday against the Ottawa Gee Gees, before playing its final game of the season Sunday at 2 p.m. against McGill at McConnell Arena. 

1 comment

1. You guys made a mistake with the Carleton goalie. It was Tamber Tisdale behind the pipes.