Concordia students ‘spread the red’

NDP leadership candidate Nathan Cullen joined the student movement March 20, participating in an event at Concordia called Spread the Red.

The goal of the event was to inform students and interested passersby about the strike and hand out red squares in solidarity.

According to NDP Concordia President Hannah McCormack, approximately 30 to 40 students were stationed along Ste-Catherine trying to educate people about the symbolic red square.

“This is an effort to reach people outside the Concordia community,” she said.

Cullen, the MP of Skeena-Bulkley Valley in British Columbia, had been campaigning heavily over the last few months for the position of NDP leader, following the death of Jack Layton in August 2011.

During the January 25 leadership debate held at Concordia, Cullen promised he would take to the streets if students voted to strike and explained he was simply following up.

“I said if this happens, I’ll show up. I don’t make promises lightly,” he said yesterday.

Cullen went on to say that “the fight going on here is a much larger conversation than even just one province, one the federal government should be aware of.”“I think it’s unfair to say that the priorities should go towards planes and prisons and not towards education,” he said.

Cullen stated that his show of solidarity with striking students was about more than public relations, and that he holds a lot of respect for students.

“People are not just fighting for their own education, but they are fighting for the education of those who are yet to come. How could I not support that?”

The NDP leadership convention will take March 23 and 24.