Concordia’s new neighbour is a greasy goldmine

Photo by Alyssa Tremblay
Smoke’s Poutinerie’s first Montreal location is owned by two Concordia graduates. Photo by Alyssa Tremblay

Smoke’s Poutinerie has opened its first Montreal restaurant, setting up shop on Bishop Street just a jaywalk away from the Hall building.

Owners and Concordia grads Kathy Davey and Robert Sciascia say they couldn’t be happier with their location.

“We want to be involved with you guys—a student-friendly place,” says Davey.

Both Sciascia and Davey attended the university around the same time, but never met while they were there. Sciascia, an engineering graduate, calls this a “unique opportunity” for his family.

“This is the first time I’ve ever owned a restaurant,” he said.

The tiny shop offers 23 different types of poutine to-go packed into cardboard take-out boxes. The menu ranges from the tried-and-true classic cheese curds and gravy to adventurous flavour combos like curry chicken or nacho veggie.

Smoke’s founder Ryan Smolkin started peddling the Québécois comfort food to Torontonians in 2008 and has since opened over 20 poutineries across Canada. He emphasized that his franchise was about “giving back to those who support the business,” and said he is hopeful that Smoke’s will become an instant campus favourite.

Smoke’s Poutinerie, which opened Monday, April 2, is located at 2019 Bishop St. Hours of operation are 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.