Despite what they say, it isn’t garbage

Rating: 8.6/10
Rating: 8.6/10

Possibly the biggest hindrance that Garbage faces whenever they release new material is the onslaught of questions for the band’s drummer, Butch Vig.

You may know Butch Vig from his other job, as producer on Nevermind, Nirvana’s best-selling album, and on Green Day’s latest album, 21st Century Breakdown. However, this is probably a small price to pay given that his contribution, along with fellow band members, vocalist Shirley Manson, bassist Duke Erikson, and guitarist Steve Marker, helps produce one of the band’s best works.

Not Your Kind of People, set for release May 14, on the band’s personal record label, STUNVOLUME, is the first album after the six year hiatus the band took after Bleed Like Me.

The band makes heavy use of vocal processing (think delay effects, not pitch correction) and electronic drums. Dark and melancholic lyrics help personify internal conflicts, reflected in the external world. “My brain/ my body’s fried/ I’ve got to stay alive/I’ve got to take a chance keep moving” and “I confess I’ve lost control/I let my guard down/I let the truth out” is just a sample of the lyrics found over the forty-three minutes of play. Gloomy lyrics are juxtaposed with upbeat, catchy pop conventions, making the album thoroughly enjoyable.

If you enjoy an eclectic mix of electronic, post-grunge, alternative rock, this record will feature heavily in your summer music playlist.

Trial track: “Blood for Poppies”