In a Nutshell: It’s that apple time of year

School’s started, temperatures are dropping, and any day now those bright green leaves will transform into reds, yellows, and oranges. Seems to be that time of the year again!

Seeing summer escape our grasps may be a hard thing to swallow for some, but for others, the autumn air is much anticipated. Fall brings with it not only the start of a new school year, but perhaps also the longing for some cozy nostalgic outings. With the turn of the season, many of us seem unable to resist the urge to round up a group of friends for some good old apple-picking —  there may be no better way to ring in and embrace fall!

Getting back into the routine of assignments and projects takes some readjustment, and we need every reason to look forward to our weekends! So if you plan on grabbing your scarves and jackets and hopping on a tractor for some apple picking, here’s a delicious way to use up the fruits of your labour.

Paired with some chewy cranberries and fragrant toasted walnuts, these classic apples are used in a new way, providing all the comfort you may need for the school week ahead!

Who can resist crepes anyways? These little indulgences lend themselves to any flavour combination. Deliciously plain and simple or jazzed up with a little maple syrup and all the possible sweet and savory filling options available out there (Rolopan anyone?), crepes are in a category on their own.

So what happens when you replace the nutrient void typical white flour with whole-wheat and cut out unnecessary fats and sugars? Would you believe me if I said you get crepes that may give any restaurant a run for their money?

Between the apples and the whole-wheat flour, you’ll be getting a great kick of fibre to start your day off and keep your tummy happy. Apples have also been suggested to aid in the prevention of cancers due to its high antioxidant content. The combo of cranberries and apples is an excellent natural detoxifier, aiding in cleansing your liver, perhaps from too many Thursdays at Reggie’s. So here’s to another reason to look forward to the weekend; high fiber, sugar free, but most importantly, delicious crepes!

INGREDIENTS

1 medium apple, peeled and sliced

1/8 cup walnuts, chopped

1/8 cup dried cranberries

1/3 cup apple juice

1 tbsp. maple syrup (reduced sugar is ideal!)

2 tbsp. cinnamon

1/4 cup whole-wheat flour

1/4 cup milk

1  egg

Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS

1.   In a frying pan, simmer apples, apple juice, maple syrup and 1 1/2  tablespoons cinnamon. Once apple juice begins to bubble and evaporate, add the walnuts and cranberries. Keep under heat until all the liquid is absorbed.

2.   Mix together flour, milk and egg in a bowl. Heat frying pan to medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Once the pan is heated, add the batter. Grab the handle of the frying pan and make a circular motion with your hand, allowing the batter to evenly coat the pan.

3.   Once bubbles start to appear, gently peel the sides of the crepe with a spatula, and flip crepe over, cooking for another minute. Serve crepe on a plate, add filling, fold crepe over and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bon appétit!