Movement, memory and mobilization

The Light Bulb Conspiracy – dir. Cosima Dannoritzer, 2010, 75m

The campus-and-community-run organization Cinema Politica has officially released its fall lineup for the 2012 fall semester. Touching upon themes of movement, memory and mobilization, The Concordian has your guide to this year’s most controversial documentaries. The best part? Admission is by donation, so pay what you can and not a cent more.

FALL LINEUP 2012

Monday, Oct. 1
The Furious Forces of Rhyme – dir. Joshua Atesh Litle, 2010 , 84m
A fascinating story about Hip Hop as a language that unites those from one side of the world to the other.

Thursday, Oct. 4
The Suffering Grasses – dir. Iara Lee, 2012, 52m
An inside look into the political and civil conflicts in Syria as told by those who are living it.

Monday, Oct. 15
The End of Immigration – dir. Marie Boti and Malcolm Guy, 2012, 52m
A look into Canada’s regressive immigration policies and how it exploits certain minorities across Canada. And the focus is not in 1880. The focus is now.

Monday, Oct. 22
The Heretics – dir. Joan Braderman, 2012, 95m
The feminist art collective that produced the journal “Heresies,” reunites after two decades to reflect on how and why they came together to support the voice of women.

Monday, Oct. 29
Blokada – dir. Igor Bezinovic, 2012, 93m
Croatia’s longest and most controversial student movement takes the spotlight in this behind-the-scenes documentary.

Monday, Nov. 5
Shadows of Libertydir. Jean-Phillipe Tremblay, 2012, 93m
A look at American mainstream media and how it exercises a social, economic and political power.

Thursday, Nov. 8
The Carbon Rush – dir. Amy Miller, 2012, 84m
A revealing look at how the multi-billion dollar carbon industry can offset their emissions to other locations at the expense of others.

Monday, Nov. 12
5 Broken Cameras – dir. Guy Davidi and Emad Burnat, 2011, 90m
Five years and five broken cameras later, Davidi puts together an inspiring film that showcases the lives of one Palestinian family.

Friday, Nov. 16
Herman’s House – dir. Angad Bhalla, 2012, 81m
A female art student takes on a project that explores how one prison inmate’s vision of a dream home changes after 25 years in solitary confinement.

Thursday, Nov. 22
United in Anger: A History of ACT UP – dir. Jim Hubbard, 2012, 90m
A grassroots history of ACT UP (Aids Coalition to Unleash Power) and how it brought together a community that saved each other’s lives.

Saturday, Nov. 24
Jai Bhim Comrade – dir. Anand Patwardhan, 2012, 182m
A startling look at the oppressions imposed on people of Mumbai and how their voices, music and art challenged their oppressors.

Monday, Nov. 26 — Double Feature
E-Wasteland – dir. David Fedele, 2012, 20m & The Light Bulb Conspiracy – dir. Cosima Dannoritzer, 2010, 75m
In these two documentaries, expect to confront questions such as, “where do electronics go to die?,” and “how do you deal with a product that refuses to wear out?”

Monday, Dec. 3
We Are Wisconsin! – dir. Amie Williams, 2012, 105m
Following the Wisconsin Governor’s budget-repair bill, people from all walks of life gathered together for a historic 18 day protest against political upheaval.

All shows are at 7 p.m. at 1455 de Maisonneuve West in Room H-110. For more information about Cinema Politica and to find out how you can get involved, visit cinemapolitica.org