Home Sports Stingers move 2-0 in season

Stingers move 2-0 in season

by Kevin Duarte September 17, 2012 0 comment
Stingers move 2-0 in season

The Concordia Stingers women’s rugby team remains undefeated after an 18-7 victory against the McGill Martlets on Wednesday night. This is Concordia’s fourth time winning the annual game dedicated to Kelly-Anne Drummond.

Concordia opened the scoring eight minutes into the game. Fly half Jackie Tittley successfully converted her kick to give the Stingers a 3-0 lead.

After possession went back and forth, Concordia had another chance to score from a kick. Tittley stepped up and put her side up 6-0.

The Martlets responded immediately by scoring a try less than a minute later. Back Brianna Miller grabbed possession on the ball and found a hole in the Stingers defence. Miller converted her own kick to give McGill a 7-6 lead over Concordia.

This was the last scoring play of the half. The first 40 minutes were closely contested, with both sides staying strong at the back.

“They were only scoring points because we were making mistakes,” said Stingers coach Graeme McGravie to his team at halftime. “If we eliminated the mistakes, we should win.”

McGravie was right. Concordia looked sharp as the second half started. Seven minutes in, Erika Ikonomopoulos scored the Stingers first try of the game. The team failed to score the extra points; the score remained at 11-7 for the Stingers.

At the 25′ minute mark, Ikonomopoulos found another opportunity and scored her second try to make it a two-possession game. Tittley converted the kick for extra points to give Concordia an 18-7 lead.

For the remaining 20 minutes, Concordia held up at the back and denied McGill any further points. The Stingers remained aggressive and stayed confident as the clock ticked down to zero.

The 18-7 victory means Concordia is now tied for first in the RSEQ standings, but more importantly the team has two wins and no losses so far this season.

“I thought our forwards dominated the set piece, which was huge for us tonight,” McGravie said.

“The 15 girls that were out there played well and didn’t try to do anything that was individual. As a collective unit, I thought we did very well.”

The team will travel to Ottawa to face Carleton this Sunday. The game is scheduled for 1 p.m.