Triumphant home-opener for women’s rugby

Concordian file photo
Photos by Brianna Thicke

After the less than stellar result of their last pre-season game, the Stingers women’s rugby team came back in full force this Friday, beating Université de Sherbrooke 80-0.

Concordia warmed up with tackling and ball-handling drills while Sherbrooke worked 20 yards down the field on their offensive strategy. Concordia kicked off and scored the first try within the first three minutes of the game. Their speed was remarkable, both forwards and backs running circles around Sherbrooke, resulting in another try just two minutes after centre Jackie Tittley kicked the conversion goal for Concordia.

The next three tries were scored by Bianca Farella, who is new to the Stinger family but definitely knows her way around a pitch. She finished up her final season with Dawson last fall and has played at both provincial and national levels. It was announced recently that she would be one of 12 women to play in the NACRA Sevens Championship for team Canada this year in Ottawa, the winner of which will qualify for the Rugby 7s World Cup. Many Stingers rookies played Friday night’s game, but one would never have guessed; when any 15 women were on the field, it was as if they had been playing together for years.

Photos by Brianna Thicke

The women have nothing to worry about when it comes to force. The majority of their scrums were undefeated and every ruck was hit in exactly the right place. They showed dominance when it came to mauls and scored their fourth try by driving the scrum over the try line from the five yard mark. Despite their line outs being a bit shaky, the forwards played with the right amount of tenacity and fearlessness it takes to make a great rugby team.
The forwards weren’t the only impressive ones at the Sherbrooke game. The backs were in exactly the right form from the first to last minutes of the game. They utilized their excellent knowledge of switch passes, blindsiding the Sherbrooke players and scoring tries left and right. The Stingers’ 11’ try was scored by fullback Jenna Giuliani after an impressive breakthrough.

After their last try was scored with two minutes remaining, it was clear the Stingers left their mark on Sherbrooke and everyone watching in the stands.

The Stingers will play their next game against McGill in the Kelly-Anne Drummond Cup on Sept. 12 at Concordia Stadium. The game will start at 9 p.m.