Arts in Brief

AUGUST, An Afternoon in the Country at Centaur Theatre
Centaur Theatre’s inaugural show of its 44th Season, August, An Afternoon in the Country, takes you to the heart of a family drama unfolding in the rural countryside. An evening meant to celebrate the recent engagement of Monique and her boyfriend André quickly unravels as secrets begin to surface and family tensions begin to boil.

August, An Afternoon in the Country runs from Oct. 2 until the 28. For ticket prices and showtimes please visit centaurtheatre.com

– – – – –

Guys And Dolls at Segal Centre
A broadway classic that gave birth to such memorable songs as “Sit Down You’re Rocking the Boat,”, “Luck Be a Lady,” and “Adelaide’s Lament.” Guys and Dolls has been a favorite of musical lovers for generations. Starting at the Segal Centre on Sept. 30, Guys and Dolls is set in the streets of gritty 1940s-era New York and features gamblers, swindlers and nuns – of all things. Nathan Detroit runs a floating craps game but he’s in need of money – bad – so he bets high-roller Sky Masterson that Sky can’t get Sister Sarah Brown to agree to a date with him. Sky promises Sarah money for her crumbling mission if she goes out with him. She reluctantly agrees, never expecting that she would fall in love.

Guys and Dolls runs from Sept. 30 until Oct. 28. For ticket prices and showtimes please visit segalcentre.org

– – – – –

Chuck Samuels art exhibit at gallery Occurence
Chuck Samuels has brought two bodies of work, Memory Believes and Movie/Music to gallery Occurence. Memory Believes presents 14 photographs on the theme of memory permutation that were created using Super 8 film and other antiquated images. Movie/Music is a presentation of visual experimentation that uses dated film and video equipment to create ten musical short films done in collaboration with composer and musician Bill Parsons.

Chuck Samuels’ exhibits will be showing at Occurence until Oct. 23. 

– – – – –

Book Release – DEBT SENTENCE: How Canada’s Student Loan System is Failing Young People and the Country by Thomas F. Pawlick
A call to arms over the way post-secondary education is financed in Canada, Pawlick’s indicts the Canadian financial loan system and makes a case for immediate and drastic change.

Available online at Amazon.com, Chapters and Barnes & Noble, Debt Sentence retails for $19.95.

– – – – –

Marlon Brando: Provocative Genius at Cinema du Parc
From Oct. 5 to 11, Cinema du Parc will be celebrating the life and career of Marlon Brando with the showing of six of his most renowned films; The Wild One, The Godfather, On the Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire, Last Tango in Paris and Apocalypse Now Redux.

Dates and showtimes vary. Please visit cinemaduparc.com for more information.