Music in the News: Nelly, Stevie Nicks, Led Zeppelin

Oh, is that what ‘pimp juice’ is?

Grammy-award winning rapper Nelly ran into a bit of trouble last week when border-patrol officers performed a routine search of his tour bus that turned up more than half an ounce of heroin, 10 pounds of marijuana and a loaded .45-caliber pistol. Nelly and his crew were detained but eventually set free once a man named Keith Jones admitted the illegal articles were his and was subsequently arrested.  “I’m not gone front I’m MAD as Hell about this,” Nelly tweeted, “2have some1 who works 4u n who u call a friend 4 ova 10years jeopardize ur life WTF?… No excuses for wad he did!” Oddly enough, the search occurred at the now-infamous Sierra Blanca checkpoint in Texas, where musicians such as Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg and most recently Fiona Apple were all arrested for drug possession.

Nicks nixes threatening Nicki’s neck

Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks has apologized for her hostile statements regarding Nicki Minaj after the rapper reportedly threatened Mariah Carey on the set of American Idol. “I’m not fucking putting up with her fucking highness over there,” said Minaj in a spat between the two performers during a filming of the show. In an interview with the Daily Mail, Nicks stated her opinion bluntly: “How dare this little girl! . . . If I had been Mariah, I would have walked over to Nicki and strangled her to death right there.” Now the “Edge of Seventeen” singer has thought twice about her harsh words. “I want to apologize for my remarks about Nicki Minaj’s behavior toward Mariah Carey, which I said during a long and exhausting day of interviews.” Nicks said that the comment was completely out of character and that she truly regretted having said it. “I feel very protective toward Mariah Carey, who has gone through many difficulties in her life, and I spoke without thinking. I think all artists should be respectful toward one another and that includes me. I am truly sorry.”

Communication breakdown

The media got to share an uncomfortable moment with Led Zeppelin last week as a press conference for the band’s new DVD Celebration Day, which documents their 2005 reunion show at the O2 arena, went a little sour. “There’s a masseuse in here who’s not a journalist. I think that’s ever so exciting,” said a visibly annoyed Robert Plant early on. Soon after, a radio host commended the new film, but claimed it might not “quench the thirst of those who wished to see you in the flesh” to which the band remained silent, until Jimmy Page replied simply, “Sorry!” Rumors and questions regarding a possible Led Zeppelin reunion swirled around the conference, which Plant addressed obliquely, speaking about the O2 concert: “There were moments where we took off . . . but the responsibility of doing that four nights a week for the rest of time is a different thing. We’re pretty good at what we do but the tail should never wag the dog, really.”