Stingers women’s rugby team clinches playoff spot

Against an aggressive Bishop’s team, Concordia showed how tough its roster is by shutting out their opposition on the road.

This game was truly a David versus Goliath matchup, as the undefeated Stingers were up against the last place Bishop’s Gaiters. However, unlike the real story, Goliath won this round.

Concordia did not fall short of expectations and won comfortably 52-0. With two season games remaining, the Stingers’ five straight wins are already good enough to guarantee an RSEQ playoff spot.

The win also further demonstrated how much depth the maroon and gold’s roster has. Many rookies and non-starters were given an opportunity to showcase what they can bring to the table if called upon.

“We’re very happy to get a lot of people on,” said coach Graeme McGravie. “We’re very happy with the way they played.”

Concordia struck early and often. On one of these plays, a highlight reel run, was made by Frederique Rajotte. She was able to get the ball and dissect the gaps made available to her, before finally putting it down in position for an easy conversion.

Bishop’s was a hungry team, as they have yet to score a try this season. They would fare no better against the stiff Concordia defence, which is one of the Stingers’ strongest assets year in and year out.

The closest Bishop’s came to scoring was through a string of penalties called against the Stingers. This brought the Gaiters to the Stingers 30-yard line. Even from there, the home team was unable to beat the impenetrable wall of defenders.

“Historically were a very good defensive team,” said Jackie Tittley. “It’s good that we’re keeping to tradition. This defence is going to come in handy come playoffs.”

Concordia’s ease in dealing with the Bishop’s attack was in large part thanks to the team’s domination of set pieces. This was the reason for their heavily favored ball possession. This came into great use in the first half, as Concordia was consistently crashing the ball through the opposition. This took a toll on Bishop’s. The Gaiters had little energy in the second half.

This dominating style has clearly been effective this season and the team hopes it will get them through the upcoming schedule.

The Stingers’ next face off is against the Université de Montréal Carabins on Thursday, Oct. 4 at 7 p.m.