Are Facebook couples pages a must or a bust?

Among the many tools offered on Facebook, a new feature was added onto the social network about two weeks ago: Facebook couples pages.

If you’re in a relationship, engaged or married then you’re eligible for this new tool. This tool allows couples to share a single Facebook account that integrates all the couples’ shared pictures, comments, mutual friends and events.

Essentially, this new tool is very similar to the “friendship page” that was created in 2010. This paged allowed you to see tagged photos, shared wall posts, interests, events and friends with anyone you were friends with on Facebook.

However, this new tool allows a couple to actually have their own page and edit it to their liking, with a cover photo and profile picture of their choice. By just signing into your’s or your partners Facebook under this link www.facebook.com/us, it will allow either one of you to view your couples page on Facebook.

With every other new tool introduced on Facebook comes the most anticipated thing of all: the reactions.

On the internet, many people were quick to say they were ‘disgusted’ with this new invention. I say, they don’t have a real argument.

First off, people make relationships public as soon as they decide to publish it on a social media site. Secondly, so what if the page exists? It’s not being forced on anyone. It’s optional. Thirdly, why start caring now? The friendship page that was launched almost two years ago is almost identical to this function, only this time there’s a potentially lovey-dovey cover photo.

Ph.D professor in developmental psychology at Concordia University, William M. Bukowski, stated that “the extent to which having a big public splash is a good idea depends on too many factors, desire for privacy, the desire to avoid causing hurt to previous romantic partners and one’s concern that over-sharing is not sign of wisdom.”

Bukoski stated that announcing and celebrating one’s committed relationship already exists. Every Sunday in the New York Times there are wedding announcements that allow anyone to see who is getting married.

If two people are happy with displaying their love publicly then good for them, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be proud to show who you’re dating, engaged or married to. I’m not saying to go flaunt it, nor to brag about it, but one does not need to keep it away from people, nor categorize it as “personal” and “private.”

Personal, in my opinion, is the salary you make, your vote in the election, your health, etc. I don’t see how choosing to have one’s relationship be displayed publicly can be harmful. If anything, it can be good.

Relationship expert Debra Macleod told CTV News that she applauds the couples page. Instead of being embarrassed or upset with the pictures and messages that are combined onto one Facebook, Macleod thinks it’s important for couples to be more public about their love.

“I don’t see it as you’re compromising your individuality,” she told CTV. “I just think your individuality and personality and uniqueness is made from more substantial stuff than your status on Facebook.”

Going to the extent of saying that this new tool is disgusting and it can potentially ruin your relationship, or that it’s invasion of privacy, is ridiculous. If you don’t want a couples page, don’t get one. It’s as easy as that.