Music in the News

Tunes on ice

In what is surely one of the most peculiar yet apt combinations of subject and medium, Swedish indie band Shout Out Louds have released their newest single, “Blue Ice,” on a 7” record made entirely of the titular substance. To clarify, it’s more of a DIY project than an actual record, as the only way to get one of these records is to get your hands on one of ten “ice boxes” given out to select fans. According to the instructional video included with the press release: “In order to be the first to hear ‘Shout Out Louds’ first track from their forthcoming album, [those who got a box] were required to make a record, out of ice.” The “ice boxes” include nothing more than a mold for the record and a bottle of water, which, when left in the freezer for 6 hours, combine to make a very scratchy sounding recording. The song itself, their first single in three years, is about “fading devotion” according to the press video, and it will be available on their next album in less-prone-to-melting mp3, CD and vinyl formats early next year. Those of you interested in ruining your record players can enter to win one of the kits by sending an email to [email protected] with your postal code.

Just a matter of time before they settled them

The Black Keys obviously have no problem with their music appearing in ads for anything from Molson beer to Zales’ diamonds…as long as you pay them, that is. Home Depot and Pizza Hut both presumably found this out the hard way last week after the duo’s copyright infringement lawsuits against the companies were settled out of court for undisclosed amounts. The group alleged that “significant portions” of their song “Gold on the Ceiling” had been used by a Pizza Hut ad to sell ‘cheesy bites’ pizza, whereas Home Depot had used “Lonely Boy”, a single off the band’s latest album, El Camino, to sell Ryobi brand power tools. Both claims were filed back in June, when the band’s lawyers claimed the appropriation of the band’s music was “a brazen and improper effort to capitalize on plaintiffs’ hard-earned success.” Formal dismissals of the lawsuits are expected to be filed sometime in Jan. 2013.

Unfinished Clothing No. 1

When John Lennon married Yoko Ono back in 1969, she gave him a series of sketches for clothing inspired by Lennon’s body. Now, for some reason, Ono has turned those sketches into a full-fledged clothing line, entitled ‘Fashions for Men: 1969-2012’. The clothing line includes such mind-boggling items as bottomless pants, a mesh shirt with no shoulders, pants with a hand imprint on the crotch and a 400 bell bra for men. “I was inspired to create ‘Fashions for Men,’ amazed at how my man was looking so great. I felt it was a pity if we could not make clothes emphasizing his very sexy bod,” said Ono of her creations. “So, I made this whole series with love for his hot bod and gave it to him as a wedding present. You can imagine how he went wild and fell in love with me even more.” Each piece has limited run of 52 items and the whole lineup can be seen and purchased at clothing retailer Opening Ceremony’s website. (openingceremony.us)