Tough weekend for Stingers basketball at Laval

Kaylah Barrett

To close out the calendar year, both Stingers basketball teams travelled to Quebec City to face the Laval Rouge et Or on Friday night. The women’s team lost 50-49 in the first game, while the men didn’t fare any better, losing 72-68 in the later game.

Women’s game

The women’s basketball team headed into this encounter with a perfect 4-0 record. The undefeated record was worthy of the number 10

Kaylah Barrett

rank in the country.

This was the second time Concordia and Laval met this season. On Nov. 15, the Stingers claimed a 64-58 victory against the Rouge et Or at Concordia Gymnasium. The maroon and gold held on after a late fourth quarter collapse.

In this game, the Rouge et Or quickly found themselves up 8-2 halfway through the first quarter. The Stingers would battle back and tie the game at 16 points at the end of the first 10 minutes.

The second quarter was much of the same. It was mostly a one possession game as both sides traded baskets. The first half ended with the Stingers up 27-26.

Concordia’s halftime lead would not last long. The Rouge et Or started to pull away, going on a 13-3 run to end the third quarter. After three quarters, Laval was up 43-32. The 11-point difference was the largest of the game.

The Stingers wouldn’t quit in the final frame. Concordia slowly chipped away at their deficit and managed to make it a two-possession game with three minutes to go. With 25 seconds left in the game, ConU was still down by five points. The team managed to hit two three-pointers, but two Laval free-throws ensured the 50-49 victory.

Men’s game

The men’s basketball team was coming off a one-point loss to McGill last week. They were hoping to get back to winning ways against the Rouge et Or, a team they’ve already defeated 90-62 back on Nov. 15.

In this game, both teams were tied after the first quarter, with a 14-14 score. Concordia had a slim lead for most of the frame. Laval kept up with the Stingers thanks to their forward René-Pier Mathieu who scored 10 points for the Rouge et Or.

Concordia came out strong in the second quarter, going on a 9-0 run to start the frame. Laval would fight back by holding the Stingers scoreless for four straight minutes. The Rouge et Or had a 29-28 lead going into the break.

The game stayed close for most of the third quarter. Halfway through, the home team started to pull ahead. With less than one minute to play in the quarter, Laval had a 10-point lead. The lead would only be eight points after 30 minutes.

The Rouge et Or was able to defend this lead throughout the entire fourth quarter. A three-pointer with less than two minutes to play gave Laval a 12-point lead, their largest of the game. The Stingers fought back in the final 60 seconds, holding the Rouge et Or to two points. Unfortunately, ConU’s nine points were insufficient as Laval held on to a 72-68 victory.

Both of Concordia’s basketball teams will play their next RSEQ league game on Jan. 10 against McGill. During the break, the women’s team will play as hosts in the Concordia-Reebok Tournament at the end of December. The men’s team will play three exhibition games from Jan. 2 – 5 against American universities.