Home Sports Stingers narrowly beat last place Gaiters

Stingers narrowly beat last place Gaiters

by Samantha Mileto January 22, 2013

Marilyse Roy-Viau and Ashley Clarke led the offence with 13 and 12 points, respectively, as the Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team beat the Bishop’s Gaiters, 62-54, at home on Saturday afternoon.

With just under six minutes left in the first quarter, Clarke was left alone behind the three-point line and made no mistake sinking her shot to give Concordia a 12-3 lead.

The Stingers led 18-11 with one minute left in the first quarter when Richelle Gregoire missed both her free-throw attempts. However, she made up for her failed attempts seconds after the Gaiters added a basket. Gregoire outmuscled two Gaiters inside the key to score two points and give the Stingers a 20-13 lead.

The first quarter saw the Stingers up 22-13.

Earlier in the first quarter, Stingers guard Kaylah Barrett bumped heads with Bishop’s Gabrielle Chamberland and was not able to finish the game. However, she is expected to start on Thursday against McGill.

“Players fall out, players get hurt, it’s a reality,” said Concordia head coach Keith Pruden. “We have lots of offensive firepower. We just weren’t very sensible about how to adapt.”

The Stingers went on an offensive outburst in the second quarter. Gregoire received a pass from Clarke to make it 25-15 at 7:35.

About one minute later, Concordia’s Clarke and Alex Boudreau each hit three-pointers to give the home Stingers team a 35-17 lead.

Concordia ended the second quarter with a comfortable 16-point lead. They led the Gaiters 41-25.

Despite the big lead, the Stingers offence struggled in the second half, resulting in a slim win. The maroon and gold were outscored 29-21 in the final two frames.

With under one minute to play in the third, Boudreau scored her second three-pointer of the game, giving the Stingers a 54-37 lead. Bishop’s added a basket to end the quarter. Concordia enjoyed a 15-point lead going into the final frame.

Bishop’s kept Concordia to an eight point difference in the fourth quarter. After the Stingers’ Roy-Viau’s successful jump shot to make it 62-48, the Gaiters went on to score six straight points. Concordia’s lead was too much to handle for the visitors, as the maroon and gold won the game 62-54.

“We did some good things in the first half, but it was pretty sloppy in the second half,” said Pruden. “Bishop’s is playing with absolutely nothing to lose and everything to win. They shot the ball very well. I wasn’t very happy with our defensive intensity in the second half. I also wasn’t very happy with our offensive execution in the second half.”

Concordia has now won two consecutive games. They are currently tied for first in the league with McGill and UQÀM. On Thursday Jan. 24 the Stingers will host the Martlets at Concordia Gymnasium. The season series is tied at one win apiece. Tipoff is at 6 p.m.