Music in the News – ‘Lil Wayne, the Black Keys, Metallica

It’s a Lil’ offensive

Lil’ Wayne hasn’t been known to shy away from bad lyrics, but his most recent contribution, some lines on an unofficial remix of Future’s “Karate Chop”, certainly takes the cake for offensiveness: “Pop a lot of pain pills / ‘Bout to put rims on my skateboard wheels / Beat that pussy up like Emmett Till.” For those who may not get the reference, Emmet Till was an African-American 14-year-old who was murdered in 1955, allegedly for flirting with a white woman. So you can understand how comparing him to beaten pussy may not be the most sensitive thing in the world. Epic records has already apologized for the offending lyric, saying they “regret the unauthorized remix version of Future’s “Karate Chop”, which was leaked online and contained hurtful lyrics,” and that they are making every effort to take down the song out of respect for Till’s memory. Future has said he believes Wayne, who often free-associates his raps, meant no harm by the lyric. “The record it was done from a good place, good art, he ain’t have no bad intentions when he was thinking about it like that.” Till’s cousin, Airicka Gordon-Taylor, has requested the line be removed from the song, and that Wayne issue an apology to the Till family, a request that has as of yet remained unfulfilled.

Biebslapped!

The new frontrunner for the “most ridiculous music feud of 2013” award goes to Black Keys drummer Patrick Carney and his new arch nemesis, Justin Bieber. It all started when a TMZ reporter interviewed Carney after the Grammys on Feb. 10. when asked what he thought of Bieber not being nominated for anything this year. “He’s rich, right?” Carney replied, adding, “Grammys are for music, not for money, and he’s making a lot of money. I don’t know. He should be happy, I guess.” Evidently, Bieber caught wind of this, and two days later tweeted the meanest thing a Canadian teen idol could possibly say: “the black keys drummer should be slapped around haha.” Still, the sharp sting of a tweeted slap, even one that’s been retweeted over 30 000 times, will most likely be softened by the Black Keys’ three Grammy wins.

Well why else would you play Metallica?

In a lengthy piece in Esquire magazine, the man who shot Bin Laden revealed an interesting intimidation tactic his group used: playing Metallica’s music to “soften up” people before the interrogation. Even more interesting is the band’s reaction once they found out. “Metallica got wind of this and they said, ‘Hey, please don’t use our music because we don’t want to promote violence’,” Said the Navy Seal, adding what we’re all thinking at this point: “I thought, Dude, you have an album called Kill ‘Em All.” Luckily for the Seals, a Christian metal band called Demon Hunter was more than willing to help them out, sending CDs and patches to the team. “I wore my Demon Hunter patch on every mission,” the Seal said. “I wore it when I blasted Bin Laden.” Now what could be more metal than that?