Reliving the ‘70s with Symbiose by hinda A.

The entire collection is entirely made in Canada and will be exclusively available in September in the Symbiose by hinda A. store located on 227 St. Paul St. in Old Montreal.

If you were impatiently waiting for a new fashion trend to boost your look, you will be disappointed. It seems that last year’s colour-blocking – stacking vibrant colors one atop another – is a style that is back on the fashion agenda and appears to be here for the long

haul. Hinda A., the head designer of Symbiose by hinda A., brought her vibrant fall/winter 2013 collection to the Arsenal on Tuesday, Feb. 5. Kicking off the show with the bouncy tune “Punch His Face” by Skepta, the audience was lured into a pop-posh party surrounded by models dressed in candy-colored pieces. “I was inspired by the ‘70s pop art and flashy colours,” said Hinda. “I was looking around and doing research, and then I saw this picture from Milton Glaser who is a graphic designer from the ‘70s best known for his ‘I love New York’ logo.” Hinda astonished the audience by her ability to turn colourful fabrics in pink, mauve and vivid azure into silhouette-friendly dresses with architectural details. The line also sported elegant buttoned shirts worn with skirts and bright stockings, and oversized coats that looked ever so warm and snuggly. The only downer, or shall I say disaster, was a long dress made up of a pearl pink silk skirt and a fuchsia velvet top worn with purple tights and silver sandals. The fall/winter 2013 collection featured different kinds of fabrics from linen to silk to velvet. Hinda was very careful with her choice of fabrics, as one of the most important things she strives for is customer satisfaction and comfort. “I used a lot of natural fabrics because I want people to feel comfortable in my clothes,” explained Hinda. “They are also good for the environment and that is very important for me. I also used cotton because it is good for spring, summer and fall.” What is great about this new collection is that, despite its mix of bright colors, it does not come with an age limit. Many women tend to avoid the looking-like-a-bag-of-Skittles trend, afraid of coming across as inappropriate for their age group. Luckily, Hinda does not believe in limiting your style based on how old you are. “My line is targeting everyone who loves art, fashion, beauty, and everyone who enjoys life,” she said. “The collection is of course for women, but it’s for all the women out there – the young and the old. It’s for the passionate women.” Hinda was born in Tunisia, but grew up in France where she developed a passion for fashion. In 2001, she moved to Montreal where she earned a degree in fashion from the Montreal Academy of Design and Technology. In 2005 she launched her own line Symbiose by hinda A., a sleek collection for the modern woman. This year, Symbiose by hinda A. offered a collection that is vivid and modern, but still maintains the classic and sophisticated vibe that the designer’s fans are used to. As for those of you already speculating about Hinda’s next fashion project, the designer has only one thing to say:  “I have a little idea, but I can’t tell you much because it’s a surprise.” The entire collection is entirely made in Canada and will be exclusively available in September in the Symbiose by hinda A. store located on 227 St. Paul St. in Old Montreal.