ASFA elections: Meet the candidates

Paul Jerajian – Presidential candidate.

The Arts and Science Federation of Associations is holding a vote for positions in the 2013-14 academic year this week from March 6 to 8.

This year, there are only seven candidates vying for the seven positions available as ASFA executives — not a single candidate is running opposed. Here is The Concordian’s guide to ASFA’s candidates for the upcoming year.

Paul Jerajian – Presidential candidate

Experience
-Former VP external and sustainability of ASFA, 2011-12
-President of the mathematics and statistics students’ association
-John Molson School of Business councillor for the Concordia Student Union
-CSU events committee, Loyola committee, Sustainability Action Fund

Goals
“A lot of my presidential goals for ASFA include structural and procedural changes. A lot of ASFA’s operations are not clear and not recorded. Reports, FAQs and templates should be implemented as transition, and institutional memory have always been a big concern for associations in general at Concordia. There needs to be a focus on initiatives geared towards new demographics as the student population is very diverse and multicultural.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“My strengths include my experience, my determination and hard work. I will do whatever I can in my power to ensure the association thrives and continues to thrive for years future years. My biggest weakness is my stubbornness, though I have made it clear to myself and my future executive that ASFA is going to function as a team.”

Justin Occhionero – VP external and sustainability candidate

Experience
-Independent councillor for ASFA, 2012-13

Goals
“I believe primarily, ASFA needs some structural changes. In regards to my position, this would mean re-working ASFA’s sustainability annex in order to improve ASFA’s commitment to organizing events that promote a culture of sustainability. Externally, ASFA should strive for open communication between itself and external student unions such as the CSU and the Fédération étudiante universitaire du Québec. It is important that ASFA and its members communicate with these entities and collaborate on initiatives together. The rights of Arts and Science students need to be properly represented at higher levels of student governance and this can only be achieved if ASFA, its members and the above mentioned entities communicate with each other efficiently.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“My biggest strength is probably my enthusiasm. I always tackle new challenges with the highest of hopes and I think this attitude is what has made it possible for me to achieve some of my greatest goals. As for weaknesses, I think that sometimes I can harp on one idea for too long, even if it has proven to be weak or unnecessary. Having said that, I think my year working within ASFA has taught me that this is not always the best approach.”

Sean Nolan – VP social candidate

Sean Nolan – VP social candidate

Experience
-Independent councillor for ASFA, 12-2013
-Organized, promoted and DJed for hometown events

Goals
“My ultimate goal for ASFA is to make the social experience more beneficial for our students. I plan to do so by improving our orientation week, increasing the amount of social outings hosted by the association, hosting ASFA sports tournaments to engage students in fun and stimulating activities, and establish a better connection with the rest of Concordia. I plan on having MA booths available to students on the first day [of orientation] in order to help them become better acquainted with their new school as a whole.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“In terms of my strengths, I am organized, prompt as well as extremely committed to anything I put my mind to. I also feel that I am very personable and easily approachable by anyone and therefore very easy to work with. My biggest weakness, however, would be my determination when it comes to completing projects.”

TingLi Lucia Lorigiano – VP academic and Loyola candidate

Experience
-Various initiatives at Vanier College including projects to renovate the library, tutor and organizing student study groups in math, biology and chemistry
– Active member in student governance during high school and CÉGEP

Goals
“I would like to be given the opportunity to equip Arts and Sciences students with the knowledge, skills, and tools to sculpt more defined career paths. As a student who has courses are at both campuses, I myself am a frequent shuttle bus rider and am aware of the discrepancy of student services and resources available at both campuses. I want to ensure the equalization of student services and resources, as well as working towards satisfying the student body. Lastly, as the only science student in this year’s elections, I would like to introduce more extensive science career shadowing opportunities.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“Well, I’ve always benefited from being able to help others, like tutoring, or being able help foster an environment to help motivate, or inspire, students academically. The cold hard truth is that I am an optimist: my biggest strength being my ability to fuel, to drive, to motivate, myself and others to reaching peak potential. As for my weakness, I sometimes forget to schedule time in for myself. I get so caught-up with getting things done that I forget to relax.”

Francis Boyer – VP internal candidate

Francis Boyer – VP internal candidate

Experience
– VP internal of students of history at Concordia 2012-13
– Active member of the ASFA academic committee, internal committee, departmental relations committee and ASFA talks committee.

Goals
“I intend to strengthen the bonds between Member Associations as well as the bond between said associations and ASFA. Also, as the executive responsible for all annexes and bylaws, it is my intention to accurately and efficiently inform the MAs of any questions they might have pertaining to said legal aspects. I also intend to review the annexes and bylaws to ensure that they are correct and do not require correction. It is also the responsibility of all ASFA executives to best represent my peers and I will do so regardless of my personal opinions of the topic at hand.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“As far as my strengths and weaknesses are concerned, I am a very organized and committed individual. Once I begin a task, it will receive my entire attention until it is finished and, while I have never missed a deadline, I sometimes dwell too long on the task at hand before moving onto the next to ensure that it is done properly. I also need to work on knowing my own limitations as I have taken on too many tasks at once and, while it always gets done, causes strain in my personal life.”

Anne-Sophie Grenier – VP finance candidate

Experience
-VP finance of Communications guild, 2012-13
-Former treasurer of The Word
-Pursued commerce in CÉGEP

Goals
“My first goal in general is to bring student involvement up. There’s been a lot of crap with the CSU and everyone’s been disheartened. I want to clean up finances because some things just don’t get enough money. A lot of money is spent recklessly when it should be spent more toward individual student projects and academic initiatives and not just parties.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“My weakness is sometimes I come off a little too forceful and I work hard and get it done but sometimes I have to calm down. I think despite being forceful, I am very patient and understanding. I’ve worked in a lot of different environments like math and arts, that I know how to deal with different personalities.”

Stéphanie Gagnon – VP communications candidate

Experience
-VP communications of the mathematics and statistics students’ association, 2012-13
-VP social of the mathematics and statistics students’ association, 2011-12

Goals
“My goal for ASFA is making sure we use every resource available to reach out to students whether through newspapers, social media and more. We need to promote student events, student initiatives. We want every student in ASFA to feel there’s something for them. [I also] want to improve online services, so everything is documented, everything is organized and available online.”

Strengths and weaknesses
“I’m very organized, and I’m a person that will stay calm in any circumstances, and I may not always have the answer, but I always know where to look for it. I’m a little bit of a lunatic and sometimes I have my bubbles where I’m thinking of a million things at the same time.”
All photos, except for Paul Jerijian (photo provided), by Marilla Steuter-Martin

2 comments

1. Where is Crystal Harrison, the other VP Academic/Loyola candidate and the 3 Independent Council candidates in this article?