Sports in the News – Oct. 15, 2013

Down to four

St. Louis, Los Angeles, Boston and Detroit are the teams that have moved on to the American League and National League championship series in Major League Baseball. St. Louis was pushed to the limit against the Pittsburgh Pirates but pulled out a game five victory to move on. Detroit was in a similar situation against the Oakland Athletics, as they were down in the series 2-1 and were down 3-0 in game four, but climbed back to win game four and eventually game five to advance. Boston took a 2-0 stranglehold in their series against the Tampa Bay Rays which was too much for Tampa to handle, as Boston eliminated them in game four. The L.A. Dodgers beat the Atlanta Braves in four games after the teams split the first two games. The Dodgers took the next two to finish the Braves off. Next, the Red Sox will face the Tigers in the AL championship and the Cardinals will face the Dodgers in the NL championship.

Way bigger than football

As reported on ESPN this past Friday, the star running back for the Minnesota Vikings, Adrian Peterson, is dealing with every parent’s nightmare. His two-year-old son was killed on Friday afternoon after being assaulted by his ex-girlfriend, Ashley Brown’s, new boyfriend, Joseph Robert Patterson. Patterson was later arrested and his bail is posted at $750,000. Details are very minimal at this point. Before the little boy was pronounced dead, Peterson said he would play this weekend against the Carolina Panthers, which he did, but the Vikings fell 35-10.

Good news for Alouettes and Habs

This past week the Alouettes had their annual team photo taken. Injured quarterback Anthony Calvillo spoke to the media for the first time since suffering a concussion and shoulder problems. He told the media he expects to be ready for the last game of the regular season in week 18 and possibly for the playoffs. As for the Canadiens, general manager Marc Bergevin had great news to deliver this past week on injured forward George Parros. He told the media that Parros was almost symptom-free after suffering a concussion Oct. 1 against the Leafs.