Sports in the News – Oct. 22, 2013

World Series is set

The Boston Red Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals are the final two teams in the Major League Baseball playoffs and will battle for the world championship. Both teams went through grueling six-games series, with Boston edging Detroit and St. Louis beating the Dodgers. It will be the second time the Cardinals have reached the World Series in the past two years and they will be looking for their 12th world series championship in the team’s history. The Red Sox will be in their third world series since 2004. They will be looking for their eighth World Series win in franchise history. The series starts on Wednesday night and can be seen on Fox or Sportsnet.

Sunday night basketball

It’s not everyday you get to see professional basketball at the Bell Centre in Montreal, but that was the case on Sunday night when the Boston Celtics took on the Minnesota Timberwolves in preseason action. The announced attendance was just over 20,000. The Timberwolves were announced as the home team for the neutral game but the majority of the crowd was wearing the Boston Celtics. This was the second straight year the NBA has come to Montreal.

Luck vs. Manning

Everybody knew the return of former Colt, Peyton Manning, to Indianapolis in a Broncos jersey on Sunday, would be very entertaining and emotional. Yet another element was added to this game, when this past week Colts owner Jim Irsay told Indianapolis reporters that he thought with the team’s stats with Manning during his 14-year career with the Colts, that they should have had more than one Super Bowl Championship (Manning led Indianapolis to one Super Bowl Championship in 2006). This led to a media frenzy with Manning being asked to comment, but giving no response on the issue. The Colts organization honored Peyton with a tribute video before the game,thanking him for his great years in Indianapolis. Newest Colts quarterback Andrew Luck led Indianapolis to a 39-33 victory, giving the Broncos their first loss of the season.