Sports in the news – Oct. 29, 2013

Late fourth quarter heroics in Motor City

The Dallas Cowboys faced off against the Detroit Lions in Michigan on Sunday. This was a game that saw lots of adversity for the Dallas Cowboys. The first three quarters were relatively quiet points-wise, which led to a frustrated Dez Bryant (Cowboys Wide Receiver) who decided to yell at his quarterback (Tony Romo) on the sidelines to show his displeasure of his limited touches of the ball. The day belonged to Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson, who finished the game with 14 receptions, one touchdown and a career high 329 yards. That wasn’t even the most shocking part of the game, that part goes to the Cowboys for blowing a 10-point late fourth quarter lead to end up losing 31-30. The Cowboys only needed one first down to chew up some clock but a holding penalty on a third down play negated that and stopped the clock, which gave the Lions just over a minute to get down the field and score. They did, with only 12 seconds left on the clock. The Lions improved to 5-3 while the Cowboys go to 4-4.

First big NHL trade of season

The hockey world got some buzz late Sunday night when the Buffalo Sabres took the next step of their rebuilding process, as its goal-scorer and co-captain Thomas Vanek was traded to the New York Islanders for forward Matt Moulson along with a 2014 first round pick and a second round pick in 2015. Signs are all leading toward Buffalo looking to trade on the roster players to help to rebuild for the future. The Sabres have a league-worst 2-10-1 record to start the season, one point behind the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers.

Montreal Impact squeak into MLS playoffs

After the Montreal Impact lost to Toronto FC 1-0 on Saturday night, they had to rely on other teams to help get them into the playoffs during the handful of Sunday games. The team they need to thank is the New York Red Bulls for beating the Chicago Fire 5-2 which clinched their spot into the playoffs.  The Impact will now face the fourth-place Houston Dynamo in a one-game playoff at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston sometime this week.