Music in the news

Billy Joel’s back in a New York State of Mind

On New Year’s Eve, the Piano Man will return for a solo performance in his home state for the first time since 2008, ringing in the new year at the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn. Since 2010, Joel has been recovering from hip replacement surgery, one of the main contributing factors to his absence from the stage. Despite his steady recovery, Joel performed in Madison Square Garden over a year ago for a Hurricane Sandy relief benefit. His New Year’s Eve show will be kicked off by Ben Folds Five with ticket prices ranging from $64 to $200.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s star studded soundtrack

For the upcoming Spider-Man flick, producer and musician Pharrell Williams has joined forces with the Smiths’ guitarist Johnny Marr, Incubus guitarist Mike Einziger and legendary film-score genius Hans Zimmer. Williams and Zimmer have previously worked together on Despicable Me. The superhero film starring Andrew Garfield, reprising the title role, and actor-rapper Jamie Foxx as the baddie, Electro, is set for release in May 2014.

Neil Young joins the Red Hot Chili Peppers onstage for a good cause

On Oct.30, Neil Young joined the Red Hot Chili Peppers to raise money for the Silverlake Conservatory of Music, a school started by RHCP bassist Flea. Since the Southern California  school’s inception more than a decade ago, Flea has enlisted the help of some of his well-known musician friends, like Patti Smith, to help raise funds. Flea and the rest of the Chili Peppers humbly opened for Young, playing crowd pleasers like “By The Way” and “Around the World.” After several songs, frontman Anthony Kiedis paid tribute to the late Lou Reed with “a moment of noise,” instead of the traditional moment of silence, according to Rolling Stone.

So long, Jo Bros: boy band of brothers calls it quits

After close to a decade of winning over teenage girls everywhere with their infectiously catchy pop songs, the Jonas Brothers have decided to call it quits. After a recent string of cancelled tour dates, including a Montreal stop, the band’s spokesperson announced that “there was a big disagreement over their music direction,” and that the split was a unanimous decision. The band of brothers recently released two singles, but it is still not clear as to whether or not a full album will ever see light, leaving die-hard fans feeling unsatisfied. Meanwhile, all three brothers have been pursuing side separate musical side projects.