Sports in the News – Nov. 19, 2013

UFC 167 – Georges St-Pierre retains title in controversial win

On Saturday Nov. 16 in Las Vegas, NV the UFC celebrated its 20th anniversary with the UFC 167, where Georges St-Pierre kept his welterweight championship belt after beating number one contender, Johny Hendricks, in a five-round split decision. The majority of fans and experts who watched the fight believed that Hendricks was the winner, even UFC president Dana White concurred that Hendricks had won. GSP was battered after the fight with numerous cuts on his face and told reporters he could only see out of one eye. As for Hendricks, he didn’t have many cuts at all. After the fight, GSP told UFC commentator Joe Rogan that he will be stepping away from the UFC for a little bit, without saying why or when he’ll be back.

The 101st Grey Cup is set

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats will face the Saskatchewan Roughriders in Saskatchewan next Sunday night in the 101st Grey Cup. Both teams were victorious on the road this past week as Hamilton beat last year’s Grey Cup champions, the Toronto Argonauts, 36-24 in Toronto and kept Argos star QB Ricky Ray to under 100 yards passing in the second half. Saskatchewan beat the first place Calgary Stampeders 35-13. Saskatchewan has been on the road for both playoff games. Now they get to go home for the biggest of them all and have a chance to win in front of their home fans. The Tiger-Cats haven’t made the Grey Cup since winning in 1999 and the Roughriders will be in their fourth Grey Cup appearance since 2007 looking to snap a two game losing streak in their championship game history. You can watch the game on TSN and RDS Sunday night Nov. 24.

Steven Stamkos injured

One of the backbones for the Tampa Bay Lightning and a shoo-in for Team Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team, Steven Stamkos, has a broken tibia after colliding into a post last week in a game against the Bruins. As of now it is uncertain whether he will be able to take part in the Sochi winter Olympic games. The recovery period for this sort of injury is around three months, which is precisely when the Olympics begin. Hockey Canada and the Lightning organization are holding their breath to see if he will be ready for mid-February. Tampa general manager Steve Yzerman is also the GM of Team Canada.