Sports in the News – Dec. 3, 2013

Daniel Alfredsson returns to Ottawa

Former Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson returned to Ottawa for the first time when his Detroit Red Wings visited the Canadian Tire Centre on Sunday. Alfredsson played in Ottawa from 1995-2013 and served as captain from 1999-2013. This summer, Ottawa saw their face of the franchise leave to play for Detroit for more money and, according to Alfredsson, a better chance to win the Stanley Cup. After the national anthems, the Senators presented a tribute video on the big screen showing clips of Alfredsson and thanking him for his time with the organization. Alfredsson was then given a standing ovation by the fans. During the game however, the mood changed and Alfredsson was booed whenever he touched the puck. Alfie assisted on Detroit’s first goal and scored the empty net goal to ice the game for Detroit as they beat the Senators 4-2. Alfredsson was also chosen as third star of the game.

A $50,000 spill

Brooklyn Nets head coach Jason Kidd was fined $50,000 this week after spilling his drink on the court to get a stoppage late in the game last Wednesday against the Los Angeles Lakers, after he had used up all his timeouts. The Nets did get some extra time due to the stoppage to draw up a play during the clean up but still lost 99-94.

NFL sideline traffic

In a Thanksgiving game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin was standing very close to the field when Baltimore returner Jacoby Jones brought the ball down the sideline near Tomlin. Jones was nearly tripped up because of where Tomlin was on the sideline and reports came out on Monday morning that a fine could be coming from the NFL for the Steelers and Tomlin. However, there has been no official word on the fine.

Montreal Canadiens recap

The Canadiens have been red hot lately winning four of their last five games before Monday night’s tilt against the New Jersey Devils, including a 4-2 win Saturday night against their rivals, the Toronto Maple Leafs. Montreal will be busy this week as they play four games in six days with a home-and-home against the Devils Monday and Wednesday. They will then play two straight games at the Bell Centre  where they will host Boston on Thursday and Buffalo on Saturday night. As of Sunday night, Montreal sits in fourth place in the Atlantic Division with a 15-9-3 record.