Natural aphrodisiacs for Valentine’s Day

“The Aztecs called the avocado ‘ahuacuatl,’ or ‘testicle tree,’” according to Greenspan, explaining how these ancient people thought the fruit resembled testicles, but ironically contained vitamins and minerals that actually boost the immune system. Photo from Flickr user Javajoba

Valentine’s Day is coming up and despite how warm and fuzzy this holiday can be, it’s also a money pit and let’s be honest, everyone is still recovering from holiday spending.

Yes, I love you, and I know, I feel it too, but my wallet is empty and quite frankly I don’t want to be cheesy with a simple box of Lindt chocolates, sensual lingerie or heart stamped boxers to make the day special.

This day surely is a “show and share the love” type of holiday, but the pending question is, how?

Never fear, Cupid is here, and he’s dressed in eco-friendly green.

Celebrating this holiday does not mean you have to scramble to a sex shop, nor does it mean going commercial. Spending time together with your significant other and creating an air that pulls you both together can be done in alternative ways. In some studies describing what awakens our senses, especially in the case of increasing sexual desires, aphrodisiacs are doing the trick.

There are a number of foods, plants and scents that ignite a flame in our bodies, so to speak, that actually increase blood flow in the genitals, thus increasing our sexual desire and performance. In addition, they also set us in a mental state that helps us want to feel and act sexual.

According to Susan Greenspan, a naturopath and therapist, there are many easily accessible ingredients for everyone, young and old, to use to help make the day of love feel as festive as possible while also being affordable.

The first ingredient is asparagus. This vegetable, with its shape seeming already inviting, is a great source of essential vitamins and minerals that help boost histamine, which aids both sexes to reach orgasms.

The second ingredient, almond, which is the symbol of fertility, arouse females, and the third ingredient, banana, commonly used to symbolize male gentilia, actually increases male libido. Among these two gender related foods, are others that symbolize male and female gentilia according to Greenspan.

“The Aztecs called the avocado ‘ahuacuatl,’ or ‘testicle tree,’” according to Greenspan, explaining how these ancient people thought the fruit resembled testicles, but ironically contained vitamins and minerals that actually boost the immune system. For women, figs also have great stimulating effects when eaten, explains Greenspan.

For both sexes, using basil in dishes, or just having the scent of the herb linger in your surroundings is also very stimulating.

But of course, aside from all of these healthy foods, we cannot forget everyone’s favourite Valentine ingredient: chocolate.

“Chocolate contains a host of compounds including anandamide, the psychoactive feel-good chemical, and PEA (phenyl ethylamine), the ‘love chemical,’ which releases dopamine in the pleasure centers of the brain and peaks during orgasm. PEA is said to help induce feelings of excitement, attraction and euphoria,” explains Greenspan.

Nevertheless, food isn’t the only easy way to get your partner in the lovey-dovey mood for Valentine’s day.

Spraying the bed, or just the general area with rose water creates a romantic air, or if one wants to feel “the heat,” chai-like scents, or peppermint are great too.

So, this Valentine’s Day, go green with your stimulants and explore the many natural aphrodisiacs that will arouse your partner and not your wallet.