The Concordian is hiring!

Editors at The Concordian are responsible for pitching stories on a weekly basis that are relevant and interesting to Concordia students and editing story submissions according to section criteria and Canadian Press Style standards. In addition, editors are asked to assist writers in producing their best work, encourage writers to pitch story ideas, as well as participate in weekly story and production meetings.

EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for the production of the paper on a weekly basis. Responsibilities include managing section editors, copy and content editing, establishing and maintaining deadline schedules and ensuring that the overall presentation of the paper meets journalistic standards of publication.

PRODUCTION MANAGER

The Production Manager is responsible for the visual presentation of articles and images as produced by The Concordian. Each week, the Production Manager orders pages from the printer and lays out how articles will appear on the page.  Experience using InDesign is essential.

NEWS EDITOR

The News section covers news that is relevant to Concordia students. This includes but is not limited to: Concordia events, politics, student activities, and local or national news that is relevant to Concordia students.

LIFE EDITOR

The Life section contains stories designated as “features.” Topics in the Life section include but are not limited to: personal narratives, health, fitness, beauty, fashion, extracurricular activities, trends and relationships.

ARTS EDITOR

The Arts section covers all events and topics that fall into the ‘art’ category, such as, visual art, theatre, improv, dance, literature and film.

MUSIC EDITOR

The Music section is responsible for covering artists and bands that are of interest to Concordia students.

SPORTS EDITOR

The Sports section covers all sporting events at Concordia.

OPINIONS EDITOR

The Opinions section allows student writers the opportunity to provide a compelling and thought-provoking arguments on topics of interest.

PHOTO EDITOR

The photo editor is responsible for all photographic media used in the paper. They will take photos as requested by editors as well as give out photo assignments to photographers.

GRAPHICS EDITOR

The graphics editor is responsible for creating the graphic art material used in the paper. They will be asked by editors to illustrate stories for their section.

COPY EDITOR(S)

Copy editors are responsible for ensuring that all articles are written according to Canadian Press Style and Canadian English grammar standards.

ONLINE EDITOR

The Online editor is in charge of uploading all articles to our website, in addition to using Twitter, Facebook, and other social media to interact with our readers.  This person hired for this position must be able to effectively communicate with the other editors via e-mail. Experience using WordPress, and knowledge of HTML is preferred but not required.

PRODUCTION ASSISTANTS

Production assistants help the production manager to layout the newspaper each week with InDesign.

Submit your cover letter, CV and up to three samples of your work to [email protected] no later than March 16.  

To apply you must be a registered student for 2014-2015.