Is adult acne plaguing your life?

Graphic by Jenny Kwan

Here is why and how to treat those blemishes

Graphic by Jenny Kwan

Most of us have gone through it: the mortifying process of trying to regulate our complexion from breaking out with uncontrollable acne because our hormones, as our parents and teachers would tell us growing up, are changing.

But it’s fair to say many of us have past that growing stage, yet still we deal with those dreaded blemishes. Adult acne is not as uncommon as one would think. In fact adults at any age may even experience it for the first time reaching well into their 30s, 40s or 50s.

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, women are the most prone to developing acne, due to common fluctuations in their hormone levels. Likewise, all women, and men can develop uneven levels of hormones in their life, all of which can be triggered by several reasons, such as stress or medication.

According to Dr. Ari Demirjian, a dermatologist at the private Dermatology Clinic of Montreal located on Mont-Royal, in some cases people may suffer from adult acne because it runs in the family. Unfortunately, none of the factors that cause acne to develop can necessarily be avoided, he explains.

“Many patients fail to realize that acne, yes, can be created due to bad hygiene, but it is not the main source of the problem. It is a skin condition.”

Nonetheless, it is treatable.

It is highly recommended that one consults a professional dermatologist in order to receive proper assessment.  Adult acne is usually treated through the proper medication and consultation.

According to Dr. Demirjian, there are three different levels of acne that one can have. The first one is considered mild and is cured with creams that contain retinol of which have a dosage of vitamin A, and benzoyl peroxide. In addition, some creams may contain a dosage of antibiotics for mild to moderate cases.

However, in circumstances that are more harsh, when the acne is not only more prominent but also located elsewhere other than the face (like the back or chest) patients are given the creams mentioned above with the addition of oral antibiotics such as pills.

Lastly, in cases of severe acne, like cysts, or areas that begin to formulate deep swollen scars, there is prescribed medication that contains the ingredient accutane.

Accutane, according to acne.org, is a form of medication, usually taken in pill form that does four different things to help alleviate suffering from harsh acne cases. It shrinks the oil glands, reduces the acne bacteria, helps prevent clogs within the pores of the skin, and reduces inflammation.

Dr. Demirjian explains that the best thing to do, on your own, is take the medication prescribed to you, and if this is not immediately available make sure you do not touch your face. If the face becomes inflamed, or irritated, it is highly recommend to avoid washing your face with soap and warm water. Strong cleansers burn the skin, so use cold compresses instead to keep it calm. Eventually, with the proper treatment, patients will have that blemish-free and clear skin they have always longed for.