Music in the news – March 4, 2014

Bruce Springsteen gets Australian crowd twerking with Bee Gees’ cover

New Jersey rock legend Bruce Springsteen closed the Australian leg of his tour in an odd yet memorable way earlier this week. Springsteen along with the E Street Band covered the disco-era’s classic tune “Stayin’ Alive” and called on the audience to twerk, reports Billboard. The Boss also played several other covers, including a rendition of AC/DC’s “Highway To Hell” accompanied by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder. Springsteen has been steadily touring since the release of his latest album High Hopes earlier in January.

One Direction’s Harry Styles claims a non-coveted award

Pop star and rumoured playboy Harry Styles of One Direction has snatched the title of “Villain of the Year”at the NME Awards, reports NME. Styles, who was up against fellow pop star Miley Cyrus, and Russian Prime Minister, Vladimir Putin, amongst others. Styles claimed the magazine’s award for a second consecutive year. Other less-than-envious awards went to The 1975, who won the unfortunate award for “Worst Band.” Other winners at the event include Lily Allen for “Best Solo Artist” and Arctic Monkeys for “Best Live Band.”

Online petition forces Katy Perry to remove religious symbol from her music video 

The 29-year-old pop star was forced to remove an Islamic symbol from her “Dark Horse” video reports Rolling Stone. An online petition started by Shazad Iqbal on change.org called for the removal of the symbol which he and over 65,000 petitioners deemed blasphemous. In the video, a man sporting a necklace with Allah’s name is burned alive. According to the petition, “people from different walks of life, different religions and from different parts of the world, agree that the video promotes blasphemy, using the name of God in an irrelevant and distasteful manner would be considered inappropriate by any religion.”