Seasons end earlier than expected for Stingers

Photo by Brianna Thicke

The men and women’s basketball teams fall in the RSEQ semi-finals

Both Concordia Stingers basketball teams didn’t end their seasons the way they had hoped, as both teams failed to make the finals after strong seasons the year before.

Men’s basketball season review

Photo by Brianna Thicke

Last season, the men’s basketball team lost to the Bishop’s Gaiters in their semi-final, ending a two-year RSEQ championship winning streak. This season, the Stingers finished in third place with a record of 8-8, losing to the Gaiters in the semi-finals.

The men’s basketball team had a regular season that brought them some highs and then some lows. However, these highs and lows taught them what it means to be a team. The Stingers lost two great players from last year’s squad in Evens Laroche and Kyle Desmarais. The team added eight new players this year which included Mukiya Post and Mike Fosu.

The Stingers opened the RSEQ regular season with three losses to UQÀM, McGill and Bishops. They never gave up though, as they then won six straight league games, beginning with their first win over Laval by a score of 77-70 on Nov. 29.

These victories also included a nail-biter victory over their rivals, the McGill Redmen. The Stingers went 2-5 after the win which included two losses to end the regular season.

“We were a young team that started immature and young and developed in personal growth as a team throughout the season,” said head coach John Dore.

Post, who ended the season leading the RSEQ in scoring, will be looked upon next year along with teammate Adam Chmielewski to lead the Stingers to a RSEQ championship.

My men’s basketball MVP is Adam Chmielewski. He was the heart and soul of the team — if he had a bad game, then the team usually had a bad game.

Women’s basketball review

Last season, the women’s basketball team made it to the Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ) finals only to lose to their rivals, the McGill Martlets. This year they finished in second place with a record of 11-5 but lost in the semi-finals to the UQÀM Citadins.

The Stingers opened the RSEQ season, in a matchup against the Citadins. They had the lead for the first two quarters but blew it in the second half and only scored 13 points. They were unfortunately upset by their opponents by a score of 53-42. The Stingers’ best player was forward Marilyse Roy-Viau who scored 18 points in the defeat. After the defeat to the Citadins, the Stingers would win their home opener versus Bishops and also win over Laval, however they lost to the McGill Martlets. The Stingers found their winning way during the annual Concordia Adidas Tournament back in December, where they faced Memorial, Laurier and Queens. The Stingers won the tournament, which included a beat down of Queens University by a score of 86-34. Keith Pruden, the Stingers head coach, thought it was their best game of the season.

The Stingers faced UQÀM at home to start the second half of the season in the Breast Cancer Awareness game and pulled a 67-54 win. However, the next day, they lost to UQÀM on their homecourt 57-43. After that loss, the Stingers went on a six-game winning streak and then lost two games to UQÀM and Laval. The Stingers ended the RSEQ regular season with two wins before losing to UQÀM in the semi-finals by a score of 59-48.

This season for the Stingers saw them have success against the McGill Martlets as they beat them three out of four times. However, they were not so lucky with the Citadins, as they had a 1-4 record against them.

Pruden thought the team was “good overall” this season, but had a “disappointing result in [the] playoffs.” He stated that they have to improve on their shooting next year, something that weakened them this season.

The Stingers bid adieu to point guard Ashley Clarke and guard Alex Boudreau, who are graduating this season.

My MVP for the women’s team is a Kaylah Barrett who led the RSEQ in scoring and steals.