Sports in the News – March 18, 2014

NFL free agent frenzy

Only a few days into NFL free agency, the Denver Broncos have made a big splash, with three key signings. According to Sports Illustrated, they signed safety T.J. Ward to a four-year, $23 million contract, with $14 million guaranteed. They also signed former New England Patriot cornerback Aqib Talib to a six-year, $57 million contract, with $26 million guaranteed. Lastly Denver signed defensive end Demarcus Ware, who had just been released by the Dallas Cowboys, to a three-year, $30 million contract, with $20 million guaranteed.

Denver’s rival, the New England Patriots, also got into the mix in free agency. Having lost Talib to Denver, they needed a replacement. So, they signed cornerback Darrelle Revis to a one-year, $12 million contract, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. This came just after Revis was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. To view all the free agent signings go to NFL.com

Impact still winless

The Montreal Impact took on the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night in Houston. The only goal was scored in the 40th minute, by Houston forward Will Bruin, whose shot hit Impact defender Eric Miller before going into the net. The Impact are now 0-2 to start the season and they will play again next Saturday against the Seattle Sounders, in their home.

Habs complete comeback

The Montreal Canadiens were down 4-1 to the Ottawa Senators with under four minutes to play on Saturday night, but the remaining fans at the Bell Centre got an unexpected surprise from the home team. In three-and-a half minutes, the Habs scored three goals to complete the comeback, the tying goal coming with just 0.3 seconds left in the game and then won it 5-4 in overtime.

Lars Eller made it 4-2 at 16:38 of the third period, and captain Brian Gionta made it 4-3 less than a minute later. At 19:59, defenceman PK Subban fed David Desharnais on the power play to tie the game at four.

Defenceman Francis Bouillon then scored the overtime winner, on a play the Senators thought should have been blown dead, as they thought goaltender Robin Lehner had froze the puck before Canadiens’ forward Max Pacioretty poked it free to Boullion.