Sports in the News – March 25, 2014

Habs inching closer to clinching playoff spot

The Montreal Canadiens started off their week on Tuesday by facing former Canadiens goalie Patrick Roy, who is now coaching the Colorado Avalanche. Roy’s return to Montreal was overshadowed by newest Canadiens winger, Thomas Vanek, who scored his first three goals as a Hab, helping beat Colorado 6-3. They then hosted the Columbus Blue Jackets on Thursday. With the game tied at two late in the third period, Columbus forward Ryan Johansen scored to secure the 3-2 win for the Blue Jackets. The Habs followed that performance up with a huge road win on Saturday night against their rivals, the Toronto Maple Leafs. Montreal scored two quick goals early in the first period on Leafs goalie James Reimer but Toronto replied in the same period with two goals to tie it up. Captain Brian Gionta scored his 15th goal of the season to give the Habs the 3-2 lead before the period was up. After the Leafs tied it up again early in the third period, halfway through the third, Tomas Plekanec scored the game winner to beat the Leafs 4-3.

Tough start for the Montreal Impact

The Montreal Impact played their first home game of the season at the Olympic Stadium on Sunday. The game, originally set for Saturday, was postponed because of a major snowfall in Montreal. According to a press release issued by the Impact, no event can be carried out at the Big O if more than three centimetres of snow is due to fall during the event or if there is more than five tons of snow accumulated on the roof. After scoring two goals in the season opener, the Impact have failed to score in the two games since. The bounces aren’t exactly going the Impact’s way; case in point with the Seattle Sounders first goal off of a corner kick that hit Impact goalkeeper Troy Perkins and found its way in. Seattle then added an insurance marker in the 58th minute that marked a 2-0 victory for Seattle. The Impact’s next chance to get its first win of the season will come next Saturday as they will take on the Philadelphia Union at 4 p.m..

MLB back in Montreal

Major League Baseball (MLB) will be back in Montreal for two games this week in preseason action. The Toronto Blue Jays, as the “home” team, will be taking on the New York Mets. It will be the first time Montreal will see professional baseball since the Expos left in 2004. The MLB regular season has already gotten underway with two games in Sydney, Australia last weekend with the Los Angeles Dodgers playing the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Dodgers took both games by scores of 3-1 and 7-5. The regular season will return to North America on Sunday.