What outfits will you be wearing this upcoming spring season?

Graphic by Jenny Kwan

Both bold and muted trends are in for spring 2014

As the warm weather approaches, that lingering desire to turn over a new leaf pervades our thoughts as our closets crave a new look. This spring calls for risk-taking as last year’s trends travel to bolder grounds and take on a wilder personality.

Graphic by Jenny Kwan

Nargisse Akyuz, local Montreal designer for fashion label, Nisse, takes us through each of these fashion trends, offering advice on how to wear them and telling us her own opinion of these statement makers.

The Crop Top

Your blouse shrunk in the wash? Don’t fret. It happens to be the latest spring 2014 fashion trend. From Jill Stuart to Vivienne Tam, the crop top is this season’s favorite child. Whether worn with a full skirt or high waisted pants, it dominated the runways, provoking multiple street style imitations. According to Akyuz, “the crop top is a stylish statement this season.”

Pop Art

Eager to take your wardrobe to bolder territory? The pop art trend demands your attention. According to Oscar Wilde, “you can either be a work of art or wear one.” This spring, you’re invited to embody this quote with pop art designs that give ordinary prints like stripes and polka dots a run for their money. Reigning at Prada and Chanel, these designs remind us of the powerful connection between fashion and art. “Pop art can be a form to communicate,” says Akyuz. “I love hidden messages in apparel. It’s like a story that I’m telling you just by wearing it.”

Fringe

Dropped your dress in the shredder? No need to panic. Fringe happens to be the latest spring trend to rule the runways of designers such as Altuzarra and Emilio Pucci. Say goodbye to last year’s feminine frills and release your inner cowgirl as fringe takes center stage. With the 90s resurrection, it should come as no surprise that distressed dressing is being translated through a variety of forms, from ripped jeans to Great Gatsby fringe dresses. Akyuz describes herself as a big fan of the fringe trend. “Fringe is always sexy and their appearance is like a feast of movement,” she says.

Head-To-Toe White

If you happen to be a classist, head-to-toe white is calling your name. In a city like Montreal where the weather is unpredictable and a sudden downpour can annihilate your look, this trend may seem daunting, but there’s nothing more refreshing than the clean and minimalist quality of a head-to-toe white outfit. Akyuz suggests updating this look with extra volume and feminine details. Using white throughout her new spring 2014 collection, she describes it as “a breath of fresh air.” The collection combines flowy white skirts juxtaposed with structured pieces and dashes of colour. “I was inspired by the highly structured with whimsical softness and the flow of whirling dervishes,” she says.

Are you inspired? Ready to play with the latest spring trends? On your mark, get set, shop.

Check out our roundup of the top Spring beauty trends: https://theconcordian.com/?p=33275