For Concordia students—Community Matters

Outcome of the CSU general elections

The Community Matters affiliation took the vote in the CSU general election, with candidates from their team filling all eight executive positions after approximately 3, 100 students voted this past week.

CSU’s Chief Electoral Officer, Andre-Marcel Baril stated that it was “the best voter turnout in three years.”

Votes for Community Matters affiliation were double or more for almost every position.

The 2014-2015 CSU executives will be; Ben Prunty for president, Heather Nagy for VP Finance, Jessica Cabana for VP Sustainability, Terry Wilkings for VP Academic, Katherine Bellini for VP Clubs & Internal Affairs, Charles Bourassa for VP Student Life, Gabriel Velasco for VP Loyola, and Anthony Guertin-Banton for VP External & Mobilization.

For CSU Council the spot for independent councillor has been filled, all three Fine Arts positions have been filled, all five John Molson School of Business positions have been filled, all 14 Arts & Science spots have been filled. For Engineering & Computer Science all four spots have been filled; however, ENCS councillor Kyle Arseneau may be disqualified after Baril accused him of violating rules and regulations of the campaign via Facebook. The decision is now in the hands of the CSU Judicial Board, with a decision expected within the next few days.

Community Matters leader and newly elected CSU President Ben Prunty believed strongly in his affiliation as a team and not just in himself. While a mixed executive team was what students and current council had predicted, Prunty was ecstatic to have his entire team elected in together, placing a firm sustainable future in the CSU’s hands.

“It was really great to see such congruence between our vision for the CSU and that of the students which we’re here to represent and work for,” said Prunty.

Community Matters presents themselves as a cohesive team that are all on the same page and who have had experience working together in the past.

“This means that we are well positioned to play to our individual strengths for the benefit of student projects, and student based-projects,” explained Prunty.

With promise of a community-based approach the affiliation explains that that is exactly what they will bring.  The main plan for the future is to empower and unite the student-base by including as many individual students and student groups as possible in the CSU’s processes and discourse.

With such a dominant win over the election, Community Matters feels they won because they reached the largest number of students.

“We think it is a combination of being active and consistent all year, being confident in our own qualifications for each of our positions, having teammates that are connected to the community-at-large, having projects that we are already working on steadily, and our emphasis on one-on-one conversations with students,” said Prunty on behalf of the team.

This past campaign was one the most competitive the CSU had seen in years with three complete affiliations and two independent councillors running.  Community Matters said that is was an honour to run against such dedicated students.

“We hope that people are not discouraged, and that those with aspirations of further civic engagement continue to refine their skills and build leadership in society where they see it lacking,”said Prunty.

To the high number of students who went out and voted in the general election Prunty said, on behalf of Community Matters;

“Thank you for the privilege you have granted us, and you can count on us to do our best all year to fulfill the projects that we spoke about during our campaign, and to bring as many benefits as possible to students for the short and long term.”

For a more information on the outcome of the CSU elections please visit: csuelections.wordpress.com/category/csu-elections-2014/ .

(Councillors listed in highest to lowest votes per faculty)

Arts & Science:

Emily Fisher

Jenna Cocullo

Gemma Acco

Matthew Palynchuk

Chloe Williams

John Talbot

Thomas Radcliffe

Alanna Stacey

Lucy Marshall Kisparissis

Paul Jerajian

James Tyler Vaccaro

Marcus Peters

Angelica Novielli

Jeremy Tessier

JMSB:

Michael Richardson

Caroline Messier-Gemes

Virginia Law

Kabir Bindra

Vicky Rodgers

ENCS:

Anita Sarkissian

Kyle Arseneau

Rami Yahia

Nicholaos Mouzourakis

Fine Arts:

Emma Wilson

Jeremy Blinkhorn

Marion Miller

Independent:

Terry Ngala

1. Anthony Guertin-Banton? Is that a bad April Fool’s joke? Or did you mean Anthony Garoufalis-Auger?